Pinball Massacre Beta - Printable Version
+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Work in Progress (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Pinball Massacre Beta (/thread-9163.html)
Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Jul 16, 2011 11:22 AM
Anyone interested in testing my newest game on the Mac, Pinball Massacre? It's also available for the iPhone/iPad/iPod. It's a standard pinball game based on the comic books that two of the artist's work on.
95% of the assets are in place. You may find a few obvious missing pieces (for example the shareware delay, borrowed from GL Golf), and a few less-obvious ones (table top UV map isn't centered exactly), but these will be fixed over the next week before submitting.
Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback, I hope you enjoy it. I'm hoping to submit/release sometime within the next week.
Currently it works on 10.6 and 10.7, not sure about 10.5. This build possibly requires 64 bit, I gotta check on the 32 bit universal binary when I get the new XCode downloaded on this laptop
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - skyhawk - Jul 16, 2011 02:00 PM
whoah... you still exist! O_O
sure, I'll give it a whirl
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - skyhawk - Jul 16, 2011 05:13 PM
1) Why set on Fixed size Resolutions? Nothing in your list felt right. My resolution IS 1920x1200, but the window felt too big for the screen.
2) No Fullscreen option. Normally I'm not a fan, but should always be an option (Or at least let me click the green button to go max-window size)
3)* Main Menu: background takes up the full screen. good.
* Scores: has black box around the main area... though I could easily see the background fitting my full background
* Options: lots of black here. Seems... incomplete?
4) +1 on having menu buttons response mouse hover, mouse down, and mouse up
5) the text and keyboard image feel a tad low-res.
6) Registration image seems low-res
7) Ball needs more shine
8) plunger needs to stay plunged till I release it (FUCK IT! I'M NOT READY YET!)
9) tone down the reflection on the playing field. I mean... it's really distracting
10) paddles don't feel like they go up far enough
11) paddles don't feel like they're hitting the ball so much as projecting the ball out of a cannon. It doesn't feel like pinball.
12) I got a popup in the MIDDLE OF BLASTING A BALL! fuck you =\ That's just inconsiderate. I suppose none of that will be an issue if it's on the MAS, as you will not bug with shareware popups.
13) I would ditch the ribbon effect on the ball. It really doesn't offer much.
14) The level really blends together. Like grey on grey, with blue kinda awkwardly placed. Not to mention all the models look like constructs, instead of actual pinball constructs. You will gain a lot more from having models that look like something someone would actually see in a pinball machine. Remember, the whole reason we play pinball on the computer is because of how hard it is to actually go play a real one. We want "that experience."
15) Why are there difficulties?
There is a phenomenal pinball app I play on my iPad, it's absolutely perfect as far as pinball experience goes. It's called Pinball HD. It has "The Deep" and "Slayer". It also has Wild West and Jungle Style, which I'm not as big of fan of, however they still maintain a very pinball feel.
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Jul 17, 2011 07:59 AM
Yep, still alive and kicking! Thanks for the feedback, it has been very helpful!
Well I thought I uploaded the Mac App Store build with no 2 minute delay, but I guess I'm wrong. I'm PMing you a serial and anyone else who wants one just email support aat nuclearnova ddot com and I'll get you one.
1. Good Point, I'd like to add some more options and then make it so you can drag the bottom right corner around
2. Currently investigating whether or not to do the new Lion fullscreen mode, but yeah I'm not sure why this was overlooked until now
3. After a game is loaded the black is the game table being rendered. The options screen needs centered for sure now that you mention it
4. Thanks, too bad this effect isn't as useful on iOS devices
5. Are you referring to the control instructions when loading, and they dynamic text all around the game? What resolution are you playing at? Should be easy to adjust on my end
6. Yep, will be 1024x1024 when the placeholder is replaced
7. Easy tweak
8. I can't remember why I didn't leave it down, but that should be easy and a good addition
9. Easy tweak, I guess I just liked how it looked too much after adding it
10-11. I can adjust the size. Out of everything in the game, getting the paddles to work was the most difficult to program. Everything else just kind of worked with the physics system I made, but the paddles required constant fiddling just to get them to where they are. I'll see what I can do
12. Yeah MAS and iOS won't have shareware delays. The shareware version however will be annoying as I want users to register
13. I'll have to see other opinions on this one, I really like the ribbon
14. I see what you mean now. I'll keep this in consideration for the next table.
15. Different lives, game speed, and paddle sizes
The apps you mention are incredible apps, definitely what I looked up to. They even have a few more tables out in another app.
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - musicraft - Jul 18, 2011 06:09 AM
Loved the game! My only problem with it is there's no music. Check your PMs.
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Jul 18, 2011 07:07 AM
Thanks for the PM, but we actually have 5 tracks in the game. I think there might be a bug where it isn't starting, because once on a new computer I tried to show somebody and the music didn't start till I closed and opened it twice. I'll look into that bug
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - musicraft - Jul 18, 2011 10:56 AM
Right, it's all good after restart.
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Jul 26, 2011 08:26 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, between the feedback here and at macrumors along with lots and lots of in-house testing, we are finally ready to submit to Apple. The shareware demo is at http://nuclearnova.com/pinballmassacre.zip, I'm currently working on finishing up all of the loose ends
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - SethWillits - Jul 26, 2011 03:19 PM
And now you're going to enter uDevGames right? Lots of sweet sweet prizes....
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Aug 2, 2011 11:04 AM
(Jul 26, 2011 03:19 PM)SethWillits Wrote: And now you're going to enter uDevGames right? Lots of sweet sweet prizes....
I wish, but who knows maybe I'll go on a giant working binge and finish the GL Golf sequel early!
Hum, I never got a notification that you replied to my post this time
Thanks for the testing again Skyhawk, we're now in the Mac App Store - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinball-massacre/id434832657?mt=12
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Nov 22, 2011 11:49 AM
In case anyone is subscribed to this thread, new beta for the second table is up - http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-9562.html
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - skyhawk - Nov 22, 2011 01:32 PM
Before I test, could you share with us some of your sales / experience with the MAS?
Several of us got burnt pretty bad with it, and since you are still pursuing the MAS, I'm interested in your experience thus far.
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - SethWillits - Nov 22, 2011 01:41 PM
RE: Pinball Massacre Beta - Jake - Nov 22, 2011 02:33 PM
(Nov 22, 2011 01:32 PM)skyhawk Wrote: Before I test, could you share with us some of your sales / experience with the MAS?
Sure. I won't give exact numbers but I can give some comparisons and notes.
• Old games (Escape, Hydrothermal, Liquid Defense) - Selling a few copies per week at $9.99
• GL Golf - Shareware/MAS sales have reversed but overall are about constant
• Barnyard Blaster/Pinball Massacre - Selling decently but still not as well as GL Golf. They do much better relative to GL Golf on the MAS compared to the iOS app store
• Same pain in the ass as iOS store in terms of submitting and dealing with Apple reviewers.
• 30% fee is higher than the typical 5-10% shareware fees, but worth it due to higher exposure.
• IAP had some hiccups getting to work (Apple's fault), but now the system/servers are working well. IAP content makes about 25-33% of GL Golf revenue on the app store, similar to the course/subscription pack for shareware
• Lite versions appear to help, Pinball Massacre Lite has been downloaded almost 100k times, that had to have helped get the paid game some momentum
• I'm fading out shareware on all of my games now in favor of the MAS. Most users have 10.6.8+ and the ones that don't are the problematic ones (PPC, 10.5, old hardware) anyway. Also by removing shareware purchases the MAS apps can climb the top app lists easier.
Any other specific questions?