iDevGames Forums
Considering moving to the Netherlands - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Considering moving to the Netherlands (/thread-9350.html)

Considering moving to the Netherlands - kiwiMark - Sep 21, 2011 02:03 AM

Hey guys,

Apologies if it isn't cool to post this sort of thing here, but IIRC Aseembly Room is like the off-topic room.

As the title suggests I'm seriously thinking about moving to the Netherlands (from Germany - I'm a New Zealander, but living in Germany at the moment), and so just putting out feelers if there's anybody who lives there or who has lived there or whatever who would have experience and could point me in the right direction (even simple things like good websites to look for flats/apartments).

I guess I'll wait and see if there's anybody here who might be able to help before posting more questions etc.

Thanks!
Mark

RE: Considering moving to the Netherlands - OneSadCookie - Sep 21, 2011 07:41 AM

I don't think I can help you, but I lived in Amsterdam for 6 months in 1995 and enjoyed it Smile

RE: Considering moving to the Netherlands - Wolfos - Sep 22, 2011 08:21 AM

I've been living here since the day I was born. What do you want to know?

RE: Considering moving to the Netherlands - kiwiMark - Sep 22, 2011 11:49 PM

Awesome!

Amsterdam's looking like my pick of the bunch (probably just 'cause it's the only city I've really seen, and it was pretty and whatnot), but that's neither here nor there.

I guess the most helpful thing would be if you happen to know any good sites for finding a place to live (can be in dutch, google translate is my friend) -- I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a one bedroom apartment if that makes any difference to anything. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, which probably makes Amsterdam a very poor choice, but let's see what happens!

Skipping ahead a bit, are there any clear winners as far as internet flatrates are concerned? Like I know my way around a bit in Germany now, but basically if I'm looking for the cheapest flatrate, any recs?

As far as language courses are concerned, obviously there's Universities, do you guys also have something like German Volkshochschule, which offers a range of tertiary level courses but more hands-on stuff, often computing, photography, art, etc., but also language courses that tend to be much cheaper than those at Universities.

I've got no idea in what kind of a situation you're in, like if someone had asked me for apartment websites when I was still in school I'd've had no idea, so don't worry if you don't know anything off the top of your head! Smile

I dunno really, I'm sure more stuff will occur to me, and feel free to chuck any advice that occurs to you my way (don't walk down the middle of the road naked, etc.).

Thanks heaps,
Mark