iDevGames Forums
New To Game Designing - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Zone (/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assembly Room (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: New To Game Designing (/thread-9381.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Hi, i'm boaz.
I'm new to game designing and intend to make it my job when I grow up.
I've read a few tutorials and some forum posts. It seems to be a good way to start by re-designing the most simple games like pong or pacman.
My question is: When I've re-designed pong or pac-man, how do I know if I did it right?

RE: New To Game Designing - SethWillits - Oct 1, 2011 01:37 PM

Well, if you play it and nothing goes wrong... success!

If you can, you should pick up a book for beginners about game programming. There are several out there which assume no previous skill and walk you through everything. It'll be really helpful.

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 1, 2011 11:25 PM

Thnx for the quick reply.
The thing is, i know almost nothing about programming. I don't want to be a programmer, but a designer.
Do designers also need a certain amount of experience in programming?

RE: New To Game Designing - OneSadCookie - Oct 2, 2011 12:02 AM

maybe once you're a famous designer, you don't need any other skills...

Until then, you need skills that will help you get a game made in the first place Rasp

Bottom line: if you can't program, you'd better be able to do art. There are other useful skills (music, audio, writing, ...) but at this level, the people who can do the "big two" skills are in charge.

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 2, 2011 04:03 AM

I understand now. Thnx.

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 2, 2011 09:04 AM

One more question:
Since my father is a professional programmer he has a few books about C, C++ and C#
But which type of programming should i practice with as a start?

RE: New To Game Designing - skyhawk - Oct 2, 2011 09:37 AM

any and all. fundamentals are a must, and I'm sure all of them teach those.

RE: New To Game Designing - phydeaux - Oct 2, 2011 09:57 AM

Honestly you don't even need a computer to start learning game design- design a board game or a card game using just pen and paper. Don't know how old you are, but this is a great course material (maybe later high school or college level) to look at if you want to get serious about designing games:
http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/level-1-overview-what-is-a-game/

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 2, 2011 09:59 AM

(Oct 2, 2011 09:37 AM)skyhawk Wrote:  any and all. fundamentals are a must, and I'm sure all of them teach those.

Could you explain the differences between C+, C++ and C#?
Wikipedia is too complicated for me...

RE: New To Game Designing - SethWillits - Oct 2, 2011 11:49 AM

Don't forget Objective-C.

It's not something that's really describable in a short amount of text. Read some answers from wikipedia and ask your dad. None of them are particularly easy for a complete beginner to learn, especially if you don't want to learn programming. Like OneSadCookie said, unless you're only going to be doing art or sound, you're going to need to learn to program.

What do you think being a "designer" entails? What work do you actually think is involved?

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 2, 2011 12:43 PM

Designing is basically writing down every single detail on how a game is going to be.
That's how i see it.

@phydeaux
thnx, I'll look into it

RE: New To Game Designing - SethWillits - Oct 2, 2011 02:43 PM

If that's all you want to do, that's fine, but describing games doesn't make a game. The "greatest idea ever" is still only as good as the worst idea. What makes them worthwhile is the implementation. If you can't actually turn it into a game, what's the use? There probably isn't a single "idea man" in the entire industry who didn't work their way up the ranks through some other skill.

By all means, come up great ideas. But you'll serve yourself well to learn the skills to be able to demonstrate your ideas are great.

RE: New To Game Designing - Boaz - Oct 9, 2011 11:36 AM

My father just explained the differences between C, C++ C# Objective-C and Java.
Since Obj-C is used for IOS I'll start learning the basics from C and then switch to C++
Thnx for the help so far, if I get any more questions I'll ask them here.

RE: New To Game Designing - SethWillits - Oct 18, 2011 04:15 PM

Came across this today:

"While someone focusing on Game Design may not have a background in programming, scripting gameplay in an editor like UDK or Unity is a must in my opinion. I want to see that they have the ability to get in and do meaningful work to create content instead of just planning gameplay and expecting others to develop it."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37935/Opinion_How_Can_Entry_Level_Game_Designers_Stand_Out.php

RE: New To Game Designing - funkboy - Oct 23, 2011 10:00 PM

Agreed. Even using Lego Mindstorms is a great demonstration of programming ability.