iDevGames Forums
rpg marketplace? - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Game Design (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: rpg marketplace? (/thread-9674.html)

rpg marketplace? - EqwanoX - Jan 3, 2012 12:48 PM

has anyone heard of big fish games? its mostly windows games but they do have a mac section. they manage to put out a new game every day
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/82/rpg.html

this is so interesting to me, these are like traditional rpgs from the snes days. is this proof that theres a market for these games? the graphics are so good and theres sequels and such, it seems like a flourishing market but then i learned that most of those games are made in rpg maker which seems cheap to me cause theyre just making games with the graphics that came with the program. but still, i think the average consumer would prefer those games over the homebrew games that are made entirely by the authurs.

i would imagine it would be for people that buy games frequently but arent into the console market? im so confused by this, do you think they make good money with this? its surprising to me that a site with these high quality games can survive when the console market is so dominant, as well as the iphone/android gaming market.

i would so love to be involved with that, designing graphics and art is so fullfililng to me

EDIT:
i looked them up on wikipedia and they have 400 employees and are the largest online games distributor in the world, they sell 1.5 million games a day

RE: rpg marketplace? - skyhawk - Jan 3, 2012 03:05 PM

Of course there is a market for these games. Heck, I've even taken to making one!

It'll be a snowy day in hell before 2D SNES style RPGs are dead.

RE: rpg marketplace? - ipeku - Jan 5, 2012 04:47 AM

(Jan 3, 2012 03:05 PM)skyhawk Wrote:  Of course there is a market for these games. Heck, I've even taken to making one!

It'll be a snowy day in hell before 2D SNES style RPGs are dead.

Personally, I'd love to see a wave of these games, and I mean real handcrafted style. There's so much potential in this.