iDevGames Forums
Question about interface builder - Printable Version

+- iDevGames Forums (http://www.idevgames.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Development Zone (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: iPhone, iPad & iPod Game Development (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Question about interface builder (/thread-9929.html)

Question about interface builder - mag709 - Mar 14, 2012 05:06 AM

Hello,

I have everything down on paper and I am going to be doing my layout/user interface. Do I have to use Interface Builder or can I use Photoshop and splice the PSD like I would for a website.

I am new to IOS programming so just wondering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

RE: Question about interface builder - AndyKorth - Mar 14, 2012 07:00 AM

Most games aren't laid out in interface builder- even for the UI of the game.

You can create your artwork in photoshop and cut it up into indivudal pieces like a website.. But you can also do that in interface builder if you're applying custom artwork to your buttons.

I think it would be helpful to know what sort of game you're making so we can help you decide what sort of user interface would work best for you.

RE: Question about interface builder - SethWillits - Mar 14, 2012 02:31 PM

Interfaces are not simply images, they're a deep hierarchal collection of many different kinds of objects. If you're creating a custom UI appearance, you're still going to use Photoshop either way. Separate from that is how you're actually going to construct your interface — using UIKit classes, custom CALayers, from scratch in OpenGL ES, or whatever method used by the game engine you're using.

RE: Question about interface builder - mag709 - Apr 23, 2012 05:40 PM

Hi Thanks for the feedback. I have not had time to look at this in more detail but will be starting to program and get my APP idea going sometime this week.

Thanks

Mary