[Closed] Help wanted: app developer to help port a game

Hello,

I'm the owner and sole employee of My Game Company, a small independent developer who makes family-friendly games.

I'm looking to bring my flagship game, Fashion Cents Deluxe, to IOS/Android tablets. This is a dress-up puzzle game for girls, which my wife designed and I programmed for her. The game earned a place among the top 10 finalists in the 2004 Independent Games Festival, and was featured in the August 2005 edition of Parenting Magazine. The game appeals not only to younger girls but also women of all ages - even grandmothers, who remember playing with paper dolls as a girl. Because of that, Fashion Cents Deluxe has continued to sell fairly well over the years. But lately, I've been getting a lot of requests for a iPad/tablet version of the game. I was planning to do the port myself, but I have another project right now that demands my full attention. So I am looking for an IOS/Android developer to help me out.

The ideal candidate must have already published some games on IOS, which I can look up in the App store with my iPad. Since I'm a small developer with a limited budget, I can't afford to pay the candidate up front, so I'm offering a 50/50 revenue split. The candidate is expected to port the game, publish it, interact with app review sites, and to help promote the game. Since the candidate will be publishing it and receiving monies for it, the candidate will be expected to provide regular royalty payments to me. Thus, the candidate must demonstrate they are reliable and trustworthy, so references are required. Ideally I'd like someone who has ported games for other companies in the past. Candidates who haven't ported games for other companies but would still like to apply should at least provide references from other parties that you've worked with, such as artists, musicians, etc.

Depending on the success of this project, there may be opportunity to port additional games for me in the future.

Fashion Cents Deluxe was written in C++ using cross platform libraries, like SDL and SDL_mixer. The code that uses the libraries is isolated to a handful of classes, and the game itself is pretty straightforward, so I would think it should be fairly easy to port. For this game, I'm primarily targeting iPad and other tablet devices; some of the pieces in the game (like shoes and jewelry) are probably too small for the game to be playable on a smart phone's small screen, but I'll defer to the app developer's judgment on that.

Interested developers should email me at: info AT mygamecompany DOT com.

You can check out the game at the Fashion Cents Deluxe home page:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/Fa...e/main.htm

Thanks!

Troy Hepfner
My Game Company

My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing, Rick Rocket, and Fashion Cents Deluxe
Quote this message in a reply
(May 31, 2013 09:36 AM)GolfHacker Wrote:  The candidate is expected to port the game, publish it, interact with app review sites, and to help promote the game.

Hey Troy,

This seems like an odd request for a simple port? To do all the marketing as well?

Alex
⌘-R in Chief
Except for the promo / customer support part (I for one don't like doing that Wink), this sounds like it could be a good partnership opportunity given it's hopefully just a port of C++ and SDL. (I assume it involves OpenGL?)

At any rate, if I were personally interested, I'd be curious in sales info on the desktop version.

Relatedly, I'm curious as to why Dirk Dashing is not on the iPad?
(May 31, 2013 05:55 PM)EvolPenguin Wrote:  
(May 31, 2013 09:36 AM)GolfHacker Wrote:  The candidate is expected to port the game, publish it, interact with app review sites, and to help promote the game.

Hey Troy,

This seems like an odd request for a simple port? To do all the marketing as well?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes, it should be a simple port. But I have zero experience with IOS/Android. I don't have a developer/publisher account with Apple (and no idea if one is needed for Android), but I'm willing to let the developer who ports it publish it under their own account. I am not familiar with how/where to promote it or what to do to get visibility on those platforms. I'm relying on the app developer's experience for help with that. And if the developer publishes under their own account, I'm assuming they'll need to be the one to provide review copies to press sites. So I'm looking for more of a partnership than someone to just port the game. That's also why I'm offering a 50/50 revenue split - seemed like a fair deal, since I need more help than just the port.

My Game Company
(May 31, 2013 05:57 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  Except for the promo / customer support part (I for one don't like doing that Wink), this sounds like it could be a good partnership opportunity given it's hopefully just a port of C++ and SDL. (I assume it involves OpenGL?)

At any rate, if I were personally interested, I'd be curious in sales info on the desktop version.

Relatedly, I'm curious as to why Dirk Dashing is not on the iPad?

The game is C++ and uses SDL, SDL_image, and SDL_mixer. The Mac version uses OpenGL instead of SDL, mainly for some very simple special effects. But I use SDL on Windows and Linux, because OpenGL isn't as widely supported on those platforms.

When Fashion Cents Deluxe was at its peak, I was earning about $1K per month in direct sales from that one game alone. (May not sound like much, but for a small indie with a minimal marketing budget, that's pretty good) Even now, 10 years later, I still sell 20-30 copies of the desktop version per month.

As for Dirk, that game isn't on the iPad for the same reason Fashion Cents Deluxe isn't on the iPad - I never learned IOS, and unfortunately don't have the time right now. Smile

My Game Company
⌘-R in Chief
The technical part sounds fun to me. Tempted to try it but there are better candidates with more time.

Another question: does your candidate have to be able to do both the iOS and Android ports?
I suppose not. I was thinking it would be nice to work with someone who could do both, but perhaps it's better to have multiple people who are each intimately familiar with a particular platform.

My Game Company
Some friends of mine in the ASP are strongly urging me to publish the port myself. I guess I can get a publisher account easy enough, but I may need assistance when the time comes to actually get through the process.

If I were to pay someone for the port up front, rather than doing the 50/50 split, what do you think it might cost? (I realize you haven't seen the source code and can't give me an accurate number, but I'm just trying to get a rough idea. It took me about a month to code the game from scratch originally, and another month to do all the art. I'm hoping to reuse most of the art, simple though it is, with some slight modifications for the different aspect ratio of the screen.)

My Game Company
Thanks to everyone who applied. I've decided to put this project on hold for a little while. I realized I'm just too busy at the moment to give this project the attention it deserves. I'll re-post this ad when I'm ready.

My Game Company

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Required: Game Developer with Raptivity Experience Venkat 0 1,166 Jul 5, 2013 02:28 PM
Last Post: Venkat
  C# programmer wanted for 2.5D Unity Ninja Game defchurch 0 1,463 May 30, 2013 10:59 PM
Last Post: defchurch
  Wanted: iOS developer with exceptionally strong graphics skills escher7 0 1,056 May 25, 2013 06:48 PM
Last Post: escher7
  board game-->app? (programmer wanted) hierophant 0 1,106 May 18, 2013 09:34 AM
Last Post: hierophant
  Developer Need for IOS/IPAD Game Demo chadmac 0 2,468 Oct 21, 2012 01:58 PM
Last Post: chadmac