My posts are being deleted

AnotherJake Wrote:Ha! I made a mod recommendation to Carlos last night and I see he went crazy! I think we have more moderators than members now. LOL

Blink

Oh my. This will lead to mass chaos.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:what happened to FreakSoftware's post, by the way?

I thought this thread was in the staff section at first. I was trying to avoid a public stoning. I guess that's pointless now.

AnotherJake Wrote:Ha! I made a mod recommendation to Carlos last night and I see he went crazy! I think we have more moderators than members now. LOL

Oh good grief. Do we really need this many? The more we have, the more problems like this we're going to have.
The only problem being, who do you remove moderatorship from, now that most people have it. Taking something away after it's been given is hard to do.
Alex
After thinking about it, I don't think having a bunch of moderators is a big deal at all (and there are others in the community who could/should be mods as well IMHO). Seems like a good way to reward long-time members who've been helpful to the community. Heck, moderators can moderate other moderators anyway, and it's not like mods agree all the time to begin with, just that there's a generally higher level of respect and thus less likelihood of seeing childish things like name calling. Plus, it's not like there's much stuff to take care of as a mod anyway, except approving new member posts and banning spammers. Moderating actual disputes rarely comes up these days.

Personally, I've seen a lot of new moderators over the years here and I definitely felt that some of them were terribly poor choices for moderators, but it never really changed the ultimate outcome: a nice quiet, and relatively orderly community.

Basically, Carlos bestowing "moderatorship" is about trust -- trust that you won't screw things up for the community and piss everybody off. ... and obviously not piss off Carlos too much either. I highly doubt you'll ever see someone show up in the staff forum and pound things around like a wild baboon. Everybody knows you gotta try not to rock the boat when you're one of the guys trying to keep it upright Wink

Also, if it is actually an issue to have too many cooks in the kitchen, I wouldn't personally mind stepping back down to regular member at any time. But like I said, I don't think it's much of an issue anyway.
FreakSoftware Wrote:I thought this thread was in the staff section at first. I was trying to avoid a public stoning. I guess that's pointless now.

Sneaky you know... Now that everybody in this thread is a moderator, it could just as well be moved into the staff section... Not that it's a big deal, but if someone wants to conduct a private stoning... [evil giggle]

So that's why I can suddenly see everyone's IP XD

I can already feel the power coursing through my veins Wow

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Looking through a few pages on the members list, red is still pretty sparse. But it's funny that everybody in this thread is a mod. Rasp I figure Carlos is letting all the "senior" and more trusted members have the power of moderation, since we've pretty much proven ourselves to be responsible. Either that or he has a sense of humor about having all of us being mods due to the context of the thread.
Not too much in topic, but anyone know why unknown disappeared for a year and six months?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Founder
Quote:asically, Carlos bestowing "moderatorship" is about trust -- trust that you won't screw things up for the community and piss everybody off
Quote:I figure Carlos is letting all the "senior" and more trusted members have the power of moderation,
Agreed. I figure if anyone has been here that long and hasn't runaway from my evil ways, then they must be worth promoting.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Random note: Najdorf is the first user who isn't a mod to post Rasp. And I guess you guys are right, it can't hurt. The only thing to do is wait and see how it goes I guess.
Alex
EvolPenguin Wrote:Najdorf is the first user who isn't a mod to post Rasp.

Najdorf should be a mod too, so we can move this thread into the staff forum for some crazy moderator conspiracy talk like we always do about this time Rasp

Or we can just say anyone who joins this thread should automatically become a moderator, yeah go go gadget moderators! ... Okay, that's crazy...
Najdorf Wrote:Not too much in topic, but anyone know why unknown disappeared for a year and six months?
He didn't - it's just that all his posts were being deleted! Wink

Quote:Or we can just say anyone who joins this thread should automatically become a moderator, yeah go go gadget moderators! ... Okay, that's crazy...
Does that apply to power-hungry new members making their first post here because they've always wanted to be a forum moderator somewhere? Sneaky

Anyway, I think a good spread of moderators around the globe must be good for getting spam deleted quicker, so it should be a good thing.
We seem to be having a mod party today, so I guess I'll join it. Now where did I put my silly hat...

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I'm not a mod, and I've been here since 2002! Sad

But seriously, I wouldn't expect to be made a mod. The amount of questions I answer is very small because the pros here know so much more than me.

So I'll just hang around like the non-college guy at the college party. Wink
If we're all modding up, someone mod me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is there a way to access old posts? spikey 3 2,117 Jul 2, 2013 10:50 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
Last Post: McSpider
  Can't find "new posts" feature in new forum software. I am about to start a riot. stevejohnson 10 9,829 Jul 30, 2010 07:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Missing posts Carlos Camacho 5 4,835 Jun 25, 2010 07:43 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  App posts, yes or no Carlos Camacho 16 8,501 Jun 18, 2010 05:59 AM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho