Basic Questions for a Word Game

Hey all,

Was a newbie starting out on my first iOS app game, which is pretty much just another word game, with a bunch of shuffling and anagrams.

The basic algorithms for shuffling and reshuffling, dictionary files with the main word, and all present anagrams are with me.

Now in terms of social connectivity, and UI design I a m facing some issues.

Firstly although I can scrape through in programming i suck at graphic design. So if I wanna use nice backgrounds, and letter textures like EA or Zynga, will I have to make them myself, partner with a graphic designer, or can I look for some typical letter tile/block textures online?

If any of you have such textures available, please can you allow me access to it.

Also as far as social connectivity is concerned, making the game fb connected is something Ive never done, but want to do in this case.

Are there any specific languages I should be aware of in order to make it live multiplayer, or one on one? Any server side stuff I should be aware of here?

These are the top 2 questions in my head right now, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You can contact me at kirtipatodia@gmail.com

Thanks a lot guys,
avidgamer101
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
(May 16, 2012 03:09 AM)avidgamer101 Wrote:  So if I wanna use nice backgrounds, and letter textures like EA or Zynga, will I have to make them myself, partner with a graphic designer, or can I look for some typical letter tile/block textures online?

Pick any combination of those.
At least with letter textures, the computer is perfectly good at drawing those. Find a font that looks good and doesn't have any licensing issues, type in every letter and arrange them on a sprite sheet. Or better yet look around for programs that build the font bitmaps for you. There are many of them out there; here is a recent iDevGames forum thread that discusses just two of them:

http://www.idevgames.com/forums/thread-9902.html

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
thanks guys!!

in terms of social connectivity, are there any tutorials/languages i should read up on..

I have just started working with objective c and cocos, and have some knowledge of java and c++

If i were to make it live multiplayer like scrabble, what would be the best way to create a back end model?

Thanks again...your help is much appreciated!!
The multiplayer side can be a real can of worms. First look at what Game Center gives you out of the box, stick to that if at all possible.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions Using Source Code and Drag & Drop Game Makers Thunder_Strike 2 2,138 Jul 12, 2013 07:59 AM
Last Post: Thunder_Strike
  Word Game Dictionary avidgamer101 3 3,739 Jul 24, 2012 04:08 AM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  BetterLetter - The Perfectly SIMPLE Word Game for iOS wenbeen 1 2,867 Dec 29, 2011 09:08 AM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  Basic structure of an iOS game with OpenGL whitey 0 3,808 Oct 4, 2011 09:40 PM
Last Post: whitey
  What data format for a quiz game with nearly 10,000 questions? monteboyd 2 4,591 Dec 23, 2010 02:56 PM
Last Post: monteboyd