Freemium Model Questions

Hello my fellow guardians,

I had another quick noob question and was wondering if you guys have ventured out into the freemium & online multiplayer territory.

Basically I was looking into creating a freemium coin/currency based system which allows users to purchase coins for powerups/playthroughs etc., (something similar to what Ludia is doing with their games like family feud and are you smarter than a fifth grader.)

I was wondering what back end modelling would that require?

Would I need to rent out server space and create a virtual currency model on MySQLite or some other PHP based database lingo?

If so which is the language best recommended. Also I am thinking of going for a words with friends/scrabble/boggle kind of interface where the multiplayer games are on a turn by turn system. This makes the event handling much easier.

What kind of back end sevrer modelling would you guys best suggest for this kind of system?

Thanks again, hope everyone is pumped for E3.

Live long and prosper,
AvidGamer
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
So you have a multiplayer turn-based game you are trying to add In-App-Purchase for in-game coins to?
precisely...any suggestions would be appreciated!
GameCenter provides everything you need to do multiplayer turn based games, so if you are on iOS that is probably the simplest approach as you don't need to provide your own server.

There's also a few services that will handle the virtual currency for you - I know sponsorpay will do and I think tap joy does as well - I don't think they have any built in integration with in app purchase though so you would need to do that yourself.