Stunt Fighter - suggestions and feedback

Hi All,

I've reached the point in my game development where some feedback would be good.

In the game you fly a plane using the accelerometer. Controls are pretty simple tilt the phone left and right to turn the plane up or down (actually makes sense when you are holding the phone - doesn't make much sense when I write it down...). Tapping the screen fires the plane's machine gun.

Here's a link to a quick video of the game play:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/508075/stuntfighter.mov

And a quick screen shot:

[Image: stuntfighter.png]

Current status -
  • Single Player Mode
    • Simple Dogfight
    • Obstacle course (avoid barrage balloons, fly through gates, shoot targets)
  • Multiplayer death match mode (currently full of bugs)
    • Local WiFi/Bluetooth using GameKit
    • Internet using GameCenter

The menus all need working on, currently they are just enough for me to test.

I'm pretty happy with the obstacle course mode - I've got a simple level designer so it's just a case of knocking out levels. It's suitably challenging and fun.

I'm less happy with the dogfight mode. It's fun to play, but it's pretty limited in terms of what you can do. I can see a simple survival model, but I'm not sure if that is enough.

I'm a bit stumped as to where to take it though. I can introduce more plane types and maybe some ground targets.

I'm wondering if it needs a bit more structure, maybe some missions so the player has a sense of purpose.

Multiplayer mode is working though it's pretty ropey and missing things like scoring. One problem I've noticed having play tested it against a human opponent is that there's a tendency to just end up circling round each other - I'm not sure if this would be fixed when there are more than two players in the game or if this needs work. I'll do some more play testing with more than two players and bots in the mix as well.

One disappointment is that GameCenter will only support a maximum of 4 players unless you do your own hosting for the game.

Here's a short video - I've been messing around adding a lens flare effect while I cogitate on the game play issues.

Any suggestions on the game play side of things and the graphics would be welcome.

It feels like I've got something that is fun to play.

Cheers
Chris.
Quote this message in a reply
Since I'm currently stuck on the game play I've been messing around with the menus.

I've updated them so that they move in response to the accelerometer. Hard to see in the video, but on the device it's quite a nice mock 3d effect.

⌘-R in Chief
Bomber protection duty? Special items flying by. Maybe flaming rings of death. Special items / going through loops / pull some elements from obstacle mode yields temporary upgrades in dogfight mode, like rapid fire, double guns, burst shot, extra speed, greater maneuverability (harder turns), maybe you could have a ramming mode...

Thinking out loud.
Like the idea of bomber protection duty - especially if there's a nice reward at the end of something getting blown up.

Hmmm, might be fun to control a bomber avoiding flak and trying to hit ground targets.

I'll start adding upgrades. I've got some graphics for a parachute so I'll have that occasionally pop out from exploding planes with a box underneath it that you have to collect.

Will post another video next week hopefully (paid work permitting).
Sage
Yes! I was just going to mention bombing runs.

Back when I used to play flight sims, bombing was the best part. I loved the physics of it and how the bombing sights worked. I think you could do well with that in 2D too.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Hmm, kind of tempted to just add some ground targets for the hell of it to see how well it works.

I think dive bombing would work nicely if I can get the physics playing nicely.

Hopefully will get some time this coming week.
Sage
Depending on how fancy you wanted to make it, there are a couple of bombing reticles that were used in combat flight sims.

The simplest one was just a circle that showed where on the HUD the bomb would hit if you released the bomb right now. It had a line between that circle and the center of the HUD because usually the circle was down below the screen level unless you were going very fast or diving.

In 2D, I think it would work really well to just draw that as a dotted line and expected impact point. We did something similar for our old Twilight Golf game, I always wanted to use that in a bombing game: http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/twilightGolf.php

The other kind of reticule was used for longe range bombing, to maximize the distance between you and your target. Basically it would have you fly upwards at a ~45 degree angle at full throttle. There was a vertical line to keep you lined up with the target and a little countdown that would tell you the exact moment to release the bomb. If you timed it correctly, you could accurately bomb things that were impressively far away. The best part was switching to auto-pilot immediately and switching to a bomb view. (whooooooooooooosh, boom)

Not sure if this would work well in 2D, and the best part was watching the bomb's trajectory anyway.

Here we go - things on the ground to bomb.

Need to get back on the multiplayer stuff now - if anyones going to iOSDevUK I'll be giving a talk on multiplayer games and GameKit/GameCenter - so I need to get that bit working to have something to show...
Sage
Awesome! That is exactly what I had in mind.

I would play that game because I've wanted to make that game. Grin

I was thinking of maybe adding some sandbags or barriers so you need to get the bombs at exactly the right angle or toss them over the wall.

I'll definitely add some ground defence units - I think some flak cannons would be cool.
@iamflimflam1: Have you ever played Wings of Fury on the Amiga? Your project looks like it could make a very nice remake Smile

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZS_xpVFZQ

Bwa. I think those little screams are going to haunt my dreams. D: That was surprisingly disturbing.

(Jun 25, 2012 10:41 AM)Skorche Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZS_xpVFZQ

Bwa. I think those little screams are going to haunt my dreams. D: That was surprisingly disturbing.

Oh wow, I remember playing this on the Apple II. Amiga version looks and sounds totally different. I remember always having a huge amount of trouble landing the plane as a kid... I'd finish what I was doing, then half of the time when I tried to come back I'd just crash. Ah, memories...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stick Stunt Biker hecco 1 3,241 Sep 1, 2010 03:20 PM
Last Post: TWilson