First Iphone Game Doubts

Nibbie
Hey guys.

I'm about to start a iphone game development and i need some help, i hope you can answer at least one of my questions Grin .
So, before anything, i'd like to make it clear that my english is not the best one, sorry.

Anyway..let's go

- I want to make a game where the player can move the character to any direction he wants. So, my question for this one is: I have to design sprites of the character? Is there another option? I have to use the cocos2d? Can i use 3d images?

- What apps can i use to draw the character 2d, 3d, whatever..?

- Once i finished the design and start to programming.. the images i drawed, should i export them as png and use in the xcode?

- Does anyone have any tutorial that show what i'm looking for? move the character, design, etc..

If you know the answer of any question, please comment..
Thank you!
Quote this message in a reply
> I have to design sprites of the character? Is there another option? I have to use the cocos2d? Can i use 3d images?

cocos2d is a third-party library, so there is no requirement to use it. You can use whatever you want or write your own. You can use 3d images if you want.

> What apps can i use to draw the character 2d, 3d, whatever..?

Use whatever is available to you.

> Once i finished the design and start to programming.. the images i drawed, should i export them as png and use in the xcode?

If it's 2d, yes, png is probably best, but there are exceptions.

Do you have any prior programming experience?
Nibbie
Hey, AnotherJake.
Thanks for the answers.

Do you have any prior programming experience?
R: Yes, i do. I'm a java programmer but i never had to deal with games development. I also don't know objective-c, but i'm studying.

I'm using 3ds max studio to draw the character. Once i finish, then i've to export for what extension?
And.. the sprites 3d, how can i animate them? do you have any tutorial with you?
If you're talking about animating 3D meshes then realistically you'll need to use Unity3D.

If you're talking about rendering your 3D objects into 2D sprite animations before loading them into your game, sorry I don't know of any tutorials since I figured that out on my own pretty much.

Since you said you've only programmed in Java, I would strongly suggest that you look at Unity3D or perhaps Corona. Otherwise you'll have to learn OpenGL on top of Objective-C or C or C++. While learning how to do it all from scratch has some positives, one major negative is the very long learning curve, measured in years for most of us. Going with a third-party engine can get you up and selling in as little as weeks, or more realistically, a few months.
Nibbie
yeah, i've been told about corona, but it's paid and i'm a student, you know.. no money. HAHAHA
So, i'm gonna use 2D Grin You told me that the cocos2d is a third-party library. Have u used before? If yes, you recommend to use it or write my own?
Sorry, I haven't used it, so I have no recommendation for or against it. I've read a lot of positive things about it though, so it's probably not a bad way to go.

I can tell you that writing your own stuff from scratch can become *very* time-consuming (like I said, maybe years). That's what I do and it has taken more years than I would like to admit. I've learned a lot, and if learning is your thing then that's fine. If you are primarily trying to earn money, and you don't already have lots of programming experience, then you really need to plan on using someone else's engine or library.
Nibbie
Alright anotherjake, thanks so much for your help. I'll take a deeper look at cocos2d since i don't have enough time to make my own, and you made it clear that takes a loooong long time Grin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Some doubts about the Iphone SDK 3.0 (New to iPhone development) antikhaoz 6 4,393 Sep 11, 2009 12:19 PM
Last Post: Josh