Game Engines for Mac

Nibbie
What current engines support the Mac platform?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Nibbie
Hmm thanks, never heard about google Wink
⌘-R in Chief
Well it was kind of a silly question. Smile There's probably two dozen. Look around on these forums and you'll find several mentioned.
It's not free, but it is well-priced for indie developers.

http://www.garagegames.com <-- Various editions of the Torque Game Engine. Ranging from $150 - $400 for Indie licenses. I just spent $850 on my Pro license pre-order of their most recent engine. Beautiful suite of tools and a large amount of support from the staff. GarageGames is a great company for indie developers to get in bed with.

http://irrlicht.sourcefoge.net <-- A decent library for C++. Wonderful tutorials, completely free and open-source, etc. Supports Mac, Windows, and Linux.

There are actually a few others, but I haven't tried too many for the Mac. I'm just now migrating to Mac development after eight years' experience developing for Windows.

Goodbye.
Founder

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
There's also dim3, but thats really only for those who want to make a single-player FPS.
There's Panda3d, which I have never tried.

And the often missed, if you don't mind doing a little work, you could use a lot of middleware.

Some middleware choices:

Graphics:
•OGv1.2.6
•OGRE
•OpenSceneGraph
•Irrlicht

Physics:
•Open Dynamics Engine
•Newton
•PhysX
•Bullet
•Chipmunk (2d only, I wish it were 3d)

Audio:
•sfxLite
•OpenAL
•FMOD

Just so you know, I wrote OGv1.2.6 and I don't recomend it to anyone but myself and the experimental. And the docs are outdated (slightly). Its at http://ep-7.net/OGv1.2.6.zip docs:http://ep-7.net/OGv1.2.6 Docs/ (More for the DIY guy or one who likes to make their own effects)
Oddity007 Wrote:Physics:
•Open Dynamics Engine
•Newton
•PhysX
•Chipmunk (2d only, I wish it were 3d)
I would add Bullet to that list too -- that's what I've been using lately.

Oddity007 Wrote:Audio:
•sfxLite
•OpenAL
•FMOD
Hehe, thanks for the sfxLite plug man! I have a second version in the works which adds things like ogg streaming, and better handling of audio pans, and a whole bunch of other things, like basic reverb and EQ.

Oddity007 Wrote:Just so you know, I wrote OGv1.2.6 and I don't recomend it to anyone but myself and the experimental. And the docs are outdated (slightly).
I've been watching that. Keep plugging away at it! Smile
How could I not plug sfxLite, it saved my entry for the "Sticky" contest!

I was actually wondering if a thread could be made for listing stuff like this. With a basic description and general market target. I'm just tossing this out there right now, but it would be pretty useful for a mac-and-iphone-oriented list of things like this.
I thought there was a sticky for the third-party middleware/engine stuff at one point, but I haven't looked in a long time. If there isn't one, start a thread and I'll sticky it for you (or someone else can). It's a good idea. Links to the libraries/sites would be helpful too.
Apprentice
A lot of engines already covered. So Will just mention that there is also BlitzMax.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D Game Engines ripter 1 2,745 Mar 15, 2009 05:40 AM
Last Post: igame3d