Word Game Dictionary

Hello Guys,

I was wondering where I could find a comprehensive and complete dictionary which I could use for programming a word game.

The dictionary would be required to check spellings and whether words exists, much like how the words are checked in games like scrabble, scramble and pretty much any other word game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
avidgamer101
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
thank you very much!!
I used the one called ENABLE for a word game 8 years ago:
http://www.puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku.ph...ble_readme

"Game designers may feel free to incorporate the WORD.LST into their games. Please mention the source and credit us as originators of the list."

It was better than other lists I looked at the time, but since I don't remember what other lists I looked at you'll have to do your own comparison.

Addendum: apparently Words With Friends uses a modified version of this list. Here's a post that says how to extract the WWF list, as well as some other posts complaining words they removed: http://ask.wordswithfriends.net/index.ph...w-hopeless
I guess they are saving potentially offensive words like "fag" and "chink" for Words With Enemies. :-)

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Basic Questions for a Word Game avidgamer101 4 4,813 May 19, 2012 07:26 PM
Last Post: MattDiamond
  BetterLetter - The Perfectly SIMPLE Word Game for iOS wenbeen 1 2,882 Dec 29, 2011 09:08 AM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  Create a dictionary property list programmatically ulquiorra 0 2,226 Jul 14, 2009 05:08 AM
Last Post: ulquiorra
  Word games? jeonghyunhan 4 3,360 Apr 23, 2009 08:48 PM
Last Post: jeonghyunhan