Gamecenter or Own Server?

Hello All,

I am working on a 2 player multiplayer game, and was at the juncture where I need to decide between hosting the game on a server, or just using apple's gamecenter and gamekit SDK and use a phone to phone connection.

I am not very familiar with the pros and cons of either of the two options, but I do know Server hosting will be costlier.

I would appreciate any help on this decision, or any suggestions.

Which would be better in the long run.

Best,
Avidgamer101
Quote this message in a reply
Depends largely on the type of game and what all you want to do with the server. If you want to implement anti-cheating measures, you'll need a central server. If the game is cooperative, cheating isn't likely to be as much of an issue. I assume you'll also get quite a lot more latency from using a central server than a local connection (does GameKit establish a direct Bluetooth connection between phones? I can't remember), so if the game is real-time, local might be your only viable option.

I'm definitely not an expert, but here are a few pros and cons as I see them for using a remote server:

Pro: Cheating prevention possible
Pro: You can collect real-time usage data if you want
Pro: Players wouldn't have to be in local range of each other to play together
Con: Slower, higher latency
Con: Requires you to invest time and money into server setup and maintenance
Con: Server could potentially get overloaded if enough players are on at once
all valid points.....thanks a ton!

The game I am planning is kinda real time but not super hardcore and I was not planning on making it local only.

Gamecenter allows for hosted multiplayer, but the hosting is done through one of the devices.

Decisions decisions.....whew!

thanks guys
I get loads of requests for multiplayer in Retro Racing. I want to use multiplayer on other games I develop to; either local or over the internet.

As I understand it, if it's over local network or bluetooth, you can do matching on GameCenter, then use the GameKit API to host the game on one device, and connect up with other devices to play the game.

Is that correct?
yes that is how it works.

Gamekit will automatically select which phone to host on.
Nibbie
I would like to mention the option of Gamooga here - http://www.gamooga.com/ - its a realtime backend for multiplayer games.

It allows you to upload server side scripts onto its cluster and hence requires no server deployment. Also since there is server side code, you have an authoritative game server. It provides an iOS API that you can use with in your client side code to communicate with the server side code.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Couple of GameCenter questions iamflimflam1 0 2,580 Jun 5, 2012 02:36 AM
Last Post: iamflimflam1
  Anyone know about Tutorials/Lectures about Server Programming Bersaelor 8 5,354 Feb 16, 2010 10:23 AM
Last Post: Bersaelor
  Howe can download any file from server to the iPhone application? Rajneesh84 3 4,646 Feb 22, 2009 10:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake