Upcoming game - need help with icon (AR Studio)

Hi guys!
We need to know what you think! Which icon do you like more for a game where bees are struggling with bears for honey? Here are the variants:
[Image: 200953_431223680268050_365290780_o.jpg]

Please share your thoughts in comments! Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:
added 2 more icons, pls let us know what you think!

UPDATE 2:
added 1 more icon

UPDATE 3:
added 1 more icon
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
With more color, the left one could work pretty well I think.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm even looking at for the one on the right. There is a smiley face, some yellow blurs and... a pair of scissors?

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
(Sep 10, 2012 07:24 AM)Skorche Wrote:  With more color, the left one could work pretty well I think.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm even looking at for the one on the right. There is a smiley face, some yellow blurs and... a pair of scissors?

Thank you for your feedback!
As for the right icon: would it catch your attention if you scrolled through the games on the App Store?
Sage
Pretty sure I would ignore it if it didn't catch my eye as something recognizable.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
⌘-R in Chief
Yeah. Definitely don't use the one on the right. The one on the left needs bold colors for the stuff in the middle to pop against the background.
(Sep 11, 2012 08:13 AM)Skorche Wrote:  Pretty sure I would ignore it if it didn't catch my eye as something recognizable.

Ok thanks.
(Sep 11, 2012 12:02 PM)SethWillits Wrote:  Yeah. Definitely don't use the one on the right. The one on the left needs bold colors for the stuff in the middle to pop against the background.

Thanks for your reply.
We've added 2 more icons, pls let us know what you think!
#3.

#1 is a neat concept, and might work in full color. But it took me quite a bit of staring to realize I was looking at two halves of two characters. At the smaller size, it looked like one weird-looking character, and the first impression I got was that it was a bored dog.

#2 is a mess.

#4 is cute, but it doesn't strike me as iconic really, and I see none of that struggle-for-honey concept in it. It's just a cute scene.

#3 is the most eye-catching to me. There's a lot of action in the honey splash and personality in the character's face.

Maybe even take the face/off concept from #1, colorize it, give each half a contrasting facial expression (right now both characters look equally apathetic), and put that on top of the honey splash from #3.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
#3 was my pick as well.

You should check it at smaller sizes too, but it's got a strong head silhouette that should still be visible. You might find the honey is too busy at smaller sizes, but if so no bi deal, it's fixable.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
I'd go with #3 as well.
Thank you guys for sharing your opinions! We appreciate it a lot.
We've added 1 more icon. Waiting for your commentsWink
#3 is still the most iconic. It's recognizable at the smallest size of any of the 5, and the composition is simple and effective. There's just a little bit too much going on in the other four for me to vote for any of them.
⌘-R in Chief
#3 is obviously the best, but you need to shrink it down and look at it at iOS icon size. There is perhaps too much detail in the image for the bear to stand out as well as you'd like. I think he could be a bit bigger in proportion, and he's also too dark.

All small changes:
[Image: upshot_mDlUtKgS.png]
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  upcoming iOS game Swipe Knight DirtyMangle 0 507 Jul 14, 2014 06:09 PM
Last Post: DirtyMangle
  Upcoming game screenshots TouchMint 0 667 May 2, 2014 09:02 PM
Last Post: TouchMint
  Upcoming iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Game FiveAmStudio 3 6,045 Sep 5, 2010 08:11 PM
Last Post: FiveAmStudio
  Help us to design the main character of our upcoming game! ngoles 1 3,902 Sep 1, 2010 03:23 PM
Last Post: TWilson
  Zombies Ala Mode - Upcoming Iphone Game brock 2 4,588 Apr 30, 2010 10:18 AM
Last Post: brock