Upcoming game - need help with icon (AR Studio)

There are 6 icons to choose from now Smile
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Still only one choice.
Agreed. Although you could try replacing the bear's face from #3 with the one in #6.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Ok thanks!
Replacing the bear's face is an interesting idea. However, the face from icon 6 might get "lost" if it's placed on a brighter background (since it's not centered).
Oh, obviously center it. Move it to the same position as the head in #3, and lose the body/thumbs up.

Justin Ficarrotta
(Oct 2, 2012 11:50 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  Oh, obviously center it. Move it to the same position as the head in #3, and lose the body/thumbs up.

Ok we'll think about it.
Thanks again Smile
Further update on icons!
How do you like #7?
[Image: 155239_3869407098967_1833596316_n.jpg]
#7 is nice enough at full size, but just doesn't really work as an icon. Again, a simple test of suitability for an icon is to shrink it down really really small and see if it still looks distinctive, and ideally still sort of be able to tell what's going on in it. Imagine using them as favicons, which are 16 x 16... The only ones that work at all at that size are #3 and #6, and to a lesser extent #1.

I'm curious what you're going for with all these variations. They're all pretty drastically different from each other, with the exception of #3 and #6. Are none of them satisfactory enough to iterate on them rather than producing entirely new artwork?
⌘-R in Chief
Take a quick glance at this image (no more than 10 seconds), starting with your eye in the center and just let it wander. Which icons catch your eye first?

[Image: upshot_KTs79Dpu.png]

Row 2 columns 1 and 4, row 4 col 2, row 6 col 5?

Did you even notice at first that two of your icons are in there?

Simple, iconic, easily recognizable, and bright will make your icon stand out against a bunch of others. A lot of the icons for games in the app store are overly detailed and dark. It's not a surprise that many of the top paid games have simple and clear eye-catching icons.
Seth, that's awesome. I'd love to see that exercise as some sort of automated tool that sticks your icon in a grid of icons from the top 200 and maybe even tracks how fast you can locate and click your icon among them.

As for the new icon, AR, I find I still prefer #3. I feel like that one would pop out in that grid quite nicely.

Justin Ficarrotta
(Oct 10, 2012 10:33 AM)ThemsAllTook Wrote:  I'm curious what you're going for with all these variations. They're all pretty drastically different from each other, with the exception of #3 and #6. Are none of them satisfactory enough to iterate on them rather than producing entirely new artwork?

Thanks for such valid comments, we'll certainly take this into account.
The point is that our artists have lots of creative ideas in mind, and we're willing to share these ideas with you and to find out what you think. That's why they come up with more variants Smile
(Oct 10, 2012 11:52 AM)SethWillits Wrote:  Take a quick glance at this image (no more than 10 seconds), starting with your eye in the center and just let it wander. Which icons catch your eye first?

Wow, thanks!
Indeed, the icons that you listed seem to be the most eye-catching.
Ok, we'll work on our ones further.
(Oct 10, 2012 03:43 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  As for the new icon, AR, I find I still prefer #3. I feel like that one would pop out in that grid quite nicely.

Ok, thanks for your feedback!
Fantastic comparison, Seth! Indeed, a website doing this comparison automatically would be really fun.

And yes, #3 is the one to go with out of the options shown. But it does seem pretty busy... simplify, simplify. And repeat the exercise Seth did until your icon pops out as much as those top-selling ones.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
I love Seth's grid comparison idea (and Justin's idea to automate it), so I made a really basic tool to make this automatic:

http://karlbecker.com/iconcompare/

Simply type in the URL to your icon, choose a category, and it will compare you to other apps in that category.

I didn't put every category on there, but if you find it useful, I can add the rest. If anybody has the mapping between the ID for a category and the plain text name, that would be helpful.

Seth or Justin, if you'd like me to put more credit to you on that page, let me know!

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Dude. This is GANGSTER! Love I got this bookmarked.

Justin Ficarrotta
Apprentice
(Oct 13, 2012 04:21 PM)funkboy Wrote:  I love Seth's grid comparison idea (and Justin's idea to automate it), so I made a really basic tool to make this automatic:

http://karlbecker.com/iconcompare/

Your work is really fantastic!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upcoming iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Game FiveAmStudio 3 5,715 Sep 5, 2010 08:11 PM
Last Post: FiveAmStudio
  Help us to design the main character of our upcoming game! ngoles 1 3,597 Sep 1, 2010 03:23 PM
Last Post: TWilson
  Zombies Ala Mode - Upcoming Iphone Game brock 2 4,264 Apr 30, 2010 10:18 AM
Last Post: brock