Language of choice for iPhone/iPod development

Nibbie
I'm currently looking into developing some simple iPhone games in my spare time and I've been reading through the documentation on Apple's website. I have a large amount of experience with C++ and OpenGL but I have never touched Objective-C or OpenGL ES. From what I can tell, OpenGL ES is very similar to the desktop equivalent, and I don't see too many problems with picking it up. However, Objective-C seems quite different to other object orientated languages I have used before.

I did read that it is possible to use C++ code alongside Objective-C. I am guessing it would be possible to write the main bulk of code in C++ and then use Objective-C/Cocoa libraries to interface with the hardware. Would this be a recommended approach, or would it be more beneficial for me to write the entire app in Objective-C? What methods are other iPhone game developers using?
Quote this message in a reply
Have you tried searching the forums? There must be at least ten topics on this Wink

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Yes, definitely search the forums, but use Google, using the site command, like:

iphone language site:idevgames.com

because the forum search here stinks.

Outside of that, I'd say that if you have a lot of experience with C++ and OpenGL, you might find looking at the oolong engine very helpful. Basically, yes, you can use like 90% C++ if you want to and only use Obj-C for OS interactions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iPhone Application Development - Basic Steps for Beginners kevinvwallace 1 1,164 Mar 20, 2014 06:59 AM
Last Post: FinleyScott
  Corona SDK - good choice? boss102 3 3,343 Feb 15, 2012 03:08 PM
Last Post: J. A. Whye
  Win a copy of: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK @iOS_blog 0 3,055 Oct 1, 2011 04:23 AM
Last Post: @iOS_blog
  iphone 4 game development andynov123 2 6,928 Jan 18, 2011 01:27 AM
Last Post: JohnEdward
  Beginning Iphone game development collision lunayo 0 3,631 Oct 8, 2010 11:43 AM
Last Post: lunayo