57 pix App Icon vs. 512pix iTunes icon

Hey,

I read Apple won't approve Apps where both images aren't the same.

Yet there are many Apps with slight differences, i.e. some additional words on the 512x512 iTunes Icon or some additional frame.

I was wondering, is it ok if the smaller picture would be a part of the bigger one?

To be more specific, my Apps Icon now is only one Marine aiming his rifle. Now what if the bigger Picture with 512x512 size would have the Marine and the Mech he is aiming at?

It would not be the same picture, yet the smaller one would technically be a scaled part of the bigger one!

Here's the pictures of what I'm talking about: Blog-Entry
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I've never heard of such a requirement, but it wouldn't exactly surprise me either. While making them exactly the same isn't such a great idea, they should be similar. I can't imagine that they would make a fuss if the color scheme is similar and the content is just cropped in a bit.

The large icon is used in iTunes and the small icon on the device. If the rumors are true, I'm sure the point was just that the icon seen in iTunes was too different from the device icon to be recognizable. So when the user installs the app they have a hard time finding it.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote:There are various creative ways to design your App Store icon so that it is similar to the icon that will be displayed on a userʼs device—one technique for instance is to present a close-up of a specific icon section—but whatever approach you take, make sure the small icon retains a very similar look to the large one.

Quote:The golden rule is simply that an end user should instantly associate the name and large icon in the iTunes App Store with the name and app icon on their devices.

From the "Use the App Store to Your Advantage" section of this doc: https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/iTu...rGuide.pdf
Oh, cool, yeah that sounds reasonable Smile

So I'll go with one guy for the small icon and "guy&mech" for the bigger one.

Thank you two!
Is it a bad idea to keep them the same? i.e. The app icon, being a reduced version of the iTunes icon?
Sage
Not a bad idea no, but you might end up with a really boring large icon or a really busy small one. That's the only thing to keep in mind.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Icon dimensions (0 x 0) don't meet the size requirement" + Xcode 3.2.5 sealfin 0 2,526 Jul 15, 2012 10:31 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Transparent iPad Icon? Bersaelor 4 5,646 Aug 25, 2010 01:01 PM
Last Post: KittyMac
  Advice re: using a 'sale banner', on AppStore icon.. Jamie W 10 7,336 Jun 27, 2010 08:18 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  What to use for URL to my game in iTunes/AppStore? Jamie W 4 6,550 May 28, 2010 01:49 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  iTunes Connect oddity kendric 0 1,920 Mar 30, 2010 07:06 AM
Last Post: kendric