iPhone 3GS Sound Libraries

Nibbie
Dear all,

I preparing for creating a game or iPhone. How sound effects are handled on iPhone devices. What libraries are used/prefered to use in iPhone computer games, please, specifically say on iPhone 3GS?

Thank you in advance,
Rene
Quote this message in a reply
There's quite a lot of information at the main iphone dev center, including source. It'll give you at least an idea of what you want.

I, too, and searching for a nice openAL wrapper. The AVAudio library is nice, but too laggy (and, oddly, processor expensive) for my needs.

Anyone else got a good pointer to a 3rd party sound library?
For games you'll typically be using OpenAL for effects and AVAudioPlayer for music.

OpenAL is a relatively small API and you don't really need any serious wrappers to get some simple effects going. Grab Apple's OALTouch example and you'll have all the code you need to load sounds and initialize/teardown OpenAL.

The only thing that can get icky with audio on the iPhone is managing audio sessions and interruptions, but Apple's docs explain those well enough (on the third or fourth read).
Frank C. Wrote:For games you'll typically be using OpenAL for effects and AVAudioPlayer for music.

OpenAL is a relatively small API and you don't really need any serious wrappers to get some simple effects going. Grab Apple's OALTouch example and you'll have all the code you need to load sounds and initialize/teardown OpenAL.

The only thing that can get icky with audio on the iPhone is managing audio sessions and interruptions, but Apple's docs explain those well enough (on the third or fourth read).

Frank - you're quite right. After a bit of dissection and re-factoring, the oalTouch demo is quite a good grounding for all things OAL. I'll have multiple samples working by tomorrow - something I never expected at the time of posting. Smile
Frank C. Wrote:For games you'll typically be using OpenAL for effects and AVAudioPlayer for music.

Frank - you're quite right. After a bit of dissection and re-factoring, the oalTouch demo is quite a good grounding for all things OAL. I'll have multiple samples working by tomorrow - something I never expected at the time of posting. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iPhone MOD players / sound engines? Jamie W 2 4,927 Aug 22, 2009 02:19 AM
Last Post: Jamie W