BinkWorks Site - Advice?

Hey guys,
After a couple weeks of on/off work on a website, I've finally got it published. I would appreciate it if you all would visit the site and let me know what you think of the layout/design/color/font scheme.
I'm not really looking for publicity at this point, since I don't have any downloads ready, but any advice on the site is, as always, appreciated(Note that the About page is a bit - not finished at the moment Rolleyes).
Thanks!

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Looks pretty good to me. I think the navigation bar at the top (home/software/blog/about us) could be about half that height, but otherwise I like the layout and colors. Disclaimer: I'm not real picky about websites. As long as they don't have animations I'm usually happy. Rasp
I'd say get rid of the strange indentation on the body text. Get rid of any straight quotation marks and apostrophes. Put the white highlight in the navigation bar directly below the text (get rid of the horizontal offset on the text-shadow) - anything Mac-like should have a light source from directly above. And I'd be very tempted to have a light background instead of the black.
I forgot to mention I *love* dark backgrounds, and straight apostrophes and quotation marks... but I also hate facebook, myspace, and anything remotely resembling reality TV shows (except Susan Boyle), so I don't roll with the "in" crowd. Definitely best to be wary of my advice when it comes to taste Rasp
I think it's very good-looking as I, too, am a big fan of dark backgrounds Smile

You might want to make the BinkWorks banner a link to the home page, since that's what I typically look for when I'm trying to get back to the index page, although the Home button works fine. Just personal preference, though.

The Monster app looks cool....I'll be looking forward to a release sometime Smile

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
maximile Wrote:Get rid of any straight quotation marks and apostrophes.

Curly quotes are a thing of the past. Let them die.

Other than what was mentioned above, if it were me, I'd use a sans serif font for the navigation bar, and decrease the Mail/Facebook icons in the "Contact Us" section. Generally, though, this is quite nice!
Thanks for all the replies!

ThemsAllTook Wrote:Curly quotes are a thing of the past. Let them die.

Other than what was mentioned above, if it were me, I'd use a sans serif font for the navigation bar, and decrease the Mail/Facebook icons in the "Contact Us" section. Generally, though, this is quite nice!

Done - thanks!

maximile Wrote:I'd say get rid of the strange indentation on the body text. Get rid of any straight quotation marks and apostrophes. Put the white highlight in the navigation bar directly below the text (get rid of the horizontal offset on the text-shadow) - anything Mac-like should have a light source from directly above. And I'd be very tempted to have a light background instead of the black.

I generally shy away from dark background colors as well, just because white on black is hard to read, and I like color. But for this site, I think the light gray on dark gray is easily readable, and since no one has complained, I think I'll just leave it the way it is.

I fixed the shadow and the indentation - thanks for the tip.

wyrmmage Wrote:You might want to make the BinkWorks banner a link to the home page, since that's what I typically look for when I'm trying to get back to the index page, although the Home button works fine. Just personal preference, though.

Done. Grin

Quote:The Monster app looks cool....I'll be looking forward to a release sometime Smile

I'm hoping I'll get a complete to nearly-complete version out by the end of summer(before school starts back), but we'll see what happens.

- Lincoln Green
I have no problem with light text on a dark background. I'm talking about the body background, behind the site itself, which is currently black. A lighter colour there would be a quick way to cheer the page up without drawing away from the site content.
OK, I see what you mean. I'll try some different colors, then.

- Lincoln Green
I suggest you take a look at the Adobe Kuler tool for giving you some colour suggestions.