Cuebox : The Real 3D Pool

Apprentice
Hi guys

I’d like to present a mobile game im working on:

Cuebox: The Real 3D Pool.

It’s a billiards game in three dimensions without gravity. The balls are floating inside a box instead of a flat table. I’d be glad for some feedback.

Edit: Cuebox is available on the App Store
https://itunes.apple.com/app/cuebox-3d-p...18826?mt=8

Facebook Page (more screenshots an other stuff)

Gameplay Trailer:

Here are some screenshots:
[Image: 4kvw.png]
[Image: mgc5.png]
[Image: bf2o.png]
[Image: 8ji0.png]

Cuebox will be released for iOS , Android and Windows Phone.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
I have some themes prepared but i won’t be able to put all of them in the game (at leas not in the first version). Can you give me some feedback on them ?

Classic:
[Image: qyp5.png]
Noble:
[Image: ae5t.png]
Blue:
[Image: 9zz9.png]
Concrete:
[Image: 5nft.png]
Minimalism:
[Image: ov6i.png]
Hot Chilli:
[Image: j2r8.png]
⌘-R in Chief
The trailer is incomprehensible. I don't know what the game is or why I'd want to play it. I understand the desire to make it short and catch your attention, but I find it more annoying than attractive despite the fancy visuals.

The environment mapping in the ball reflections don't seem accurate and it's bugging me. They look out of place.

The minimalist theme doesn't look right. The balls and walls clash. If you were going for minimal, I would think both should be minimal.

An additional different direction would be to go for super stylized, along the lines of Tron. Dark and glowy vs brightly lit.

Hot Chilli and Classic both look good to me because the the texture doesn't get washed out. The concrete texture for example, looks too low-res and blurry.

Does every wall need to look identical? What about slapping on some (appropriate and tasteful) decals? Just a thought.
I like the concept. The key challenge for me would be how well the game of pool translates to 3D, and how well the game helps me suss out where in 3D space everything is. I'd be worried that in three dimensions, the chances of balls blocking shots and generally getting in the way of each other would be super low, eliminating a key strategic component of the game.

On the themes, I'm with Seth. Green felt and red felt look best, everything else looks weird. For me, it's because they're colors I'd expect to see on a pool table.

I don't like the trailer either, to be honest. I love the visual stuff you're doing in it— very flashy and exciting— but lengthening the shots of the pool shots in 3D would do a lot to help convey the gameplay. And please, no dubstep. I'm begging you.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback guys!
About the teaser - it was supposed to just show the idea. I will have a trailer/gameplay ready next week and this one will show the dynamics.
I have a set of balls prepared for the minimalism theme, i forgot to switch it while making a screenshot. The tron-like theme was on my mind for a long time now and it will come in the future for sure. Thanks for reminding me of decals - tried them in the past , it looked bad so i've abandoned the idea for a while.
As to the playability - you're right JustinFic - shots are blocked less often but there are new strategic elements in the game ( apart from the aiming itself which require some focus). For example with the smaller pockets (size is customisable) , angle of the shot has huge impact on the chances of pocketing the ball.
Nibbie
Just gonna get some feedback in here for you:

So if you can stick to pretty felt and possibly make the wood lining and holes more attractive to give more of a nice table type feel, i think just making minor changes will benefit you. I am also highly detail oriented so if its not cost effective, then don't worry.

The idea is cool, just taking something that most of us have played and put a spin on it. Talking about spins, with free floating space, anyway to do trick shots or cool spins?

just thinking... just play with it. this idea seems like you can polish it nicely
Apprentice
I'll keep on improving the graphics, even consider some big modifications there but i will do this after the release. Right now i'm mostly fixing some issues on various platform.

As for now there is no possibility of spins, it's gonna take a lot of work to figure out how to implement it in the useful way so that it feels right. Nevertheless i thought about it many times and it will be implemented in the future.
Apprentice
I've made a big breakthrough with the Windows Phone today so i can officially state it will be released for 3 mobile platforms Wink

Btw performance on WP is really poor so far, but there is plenty of room to improve it.
Apprentice
Here's a gameplay trailer:

Apprentice
I’ve just found a prototype i’ve made probabyly around March : it’s kinda funny Rasp Pockets are my favourites Wink

[Image: 0iez.png]
[Image: 86j0.png]
I like that new trailer much, much better.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Apprentice
(Nov 25, 2013 05:17 PM)JustinFic Wrote:  I like that new trailer much, much better.

Good to hear that , cause this is the final one Wink
Apprentice
Here's an image showing the progress after 8 months of working on the game . If you look closely you can notice some small improvements Wink

[Image: cuebox_march_november.jpg]
Apprentice
Cuebox will be released tomorrow ( November 28th) on the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
Android version will be available on friday - November 29th

I have a new website for this game - just finished it before the release : Cuebox : The Real 3D Pool
Apprentice
Cuebox has just been released on the App Store !

https://itunes.apple.com/app/cuebox-3d-p...18826?mt=8