Regarding GL profiling

DoG
Looking good, except for some terrain glitches now:
http://monkeyinthejungle.net/stuff/tpx-screenie2.png
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Yeah -- I actually knew about that already -- it's an artifact of an imperfect mesh collapse algorithm. Another bullet on a long list of bugs to iron out.
New version is working great here. 40-60fps, 2x Dual-Core 2.66 Xeon, Radeon X1900.
Solid 30 FPS here, no problems (see sig)

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Sage
Awesome! I only I had any idea why Fenris saw that DDHidLib bug, then I'd be 100% happy.

I'm implementing a dynamic pseudo-random decal system next -- looking forward to it.
Renders looking beautiful! However on my iMac (ATI X1600) the performance is really erratic... 20fps for a second then freezes for some random 2-10 seconds, then 20fps for another second, repeat, etc... I currently have no idea what it is doing - I'll look at again later.

[EDIT] And I run it this morning and performance is great - no problems at all! Flakey hardware maybe... so just ignore my above comment...
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:Awesome! I only I had any idea why Fenris saw that DDHidLib bug, then I'd be 100% happy.

I was certain your demo wouldn't work on my MB since I don't have enough shader horsepower, but I tried it anyway and it crashed on startup the first time. The crash log showed that it was DDHid related. I am using a Wacom tablet. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Apple updated some HID stuff lately to plug a gaping security hole, among other things, and as a side-effect I've heard that DDHid lost some stability (rumor, requires consuming salt concurrently, etc.). Anyway, I unplugged my tablet and used a regular mouse and it at least launched with a black window, then dumped out after a second or two. Crash log showed something about shaders so I didn't bother reporting it, since as I assumed, I prolly ain't got the machine, but I figured it was worth mentioning the DDHid crash stuff since you're still thinking about it.
It would be cool if you could put less vegetation where there is no light (in the caves) because usually vegetation depends on it to live. In one cave you can see a circular spot of light, and you could make the program put vegetation there.
Sage
AnotherJake Wrote:I was certain your demo wouldn't work on my MB since I don't have enough shader horsepower, but I tried it anyway and it crashed on startup the first time. The crash log showed that it was DDHid related. I am using a Wacom tablet. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Apple updated some HID stuff lately to plug a gaping security hole, among other things, and as a side-effect I've heard that DDHid lost some stability (rumor, requires consuming salt concurrently, etc.). Anyway, I unplugged my tablet and used a regular mouse and it at least launched with a black window, then dumped out after a second or two. Crash log showed something about shaders so I didn't bother reporting it, since as I assumed, I prolly ain't got the machine, but I figured it was worth mentioning the DDHid crash stuff since you're still thinking about it.

I'm sorry about the MB GPU -- but I'm having fun here, not writing a commercial title. So my goal was to have every pixel be GLSL shaded, and to learn a lot while doing so. Sorry about the lack of support for the intel GPUs.

That being said, the Wacom details are interesting. I have a wacom at work, so I can test and maybe reproduce this. However, it looks like it's happening deep down inside Apple's HID code -- not even DDHidLib! I don't know what can be done about this.
Sage
An interesting tidbit. I'm implementing the foliage shaders for positional and spot lights now, since directional lighting isn't enough. Now, here's what's odd. The spot light + shadow mapping works great, looks great.

The positional shader KILLS my MBP! Seriously. It dies. I have to hard reset! Every time.

I will be posting this to apple's bug reporter, but I can't imagine I'll be able to come up with a nice small demo app to show the bug off.
Tried out the latest download. The program draws correctly on my 8800 GT. I see green plants. Smile

Maybe, I'm imagining things but it seems more difficult to make the car roll over. Yet, I still could roll it over. Looks like if I strike a rock and get thrown in the air with a spin, sometimes the car rolls over.

Also, some of the flat rocks in the distance tend to flicker a little.

This version was a much better experience.
Sage
Hey, I probably should start a new thread over this, but I was hoping people could drive test this.

Specifically, macnib's comments on the camera control were spot on, and so I decided to take a short break and see if I couldn't come up with a better way. Furthermore, I had a few friends and my GF take this for a drive and 2 out of 3 got motion sick Rasp

So, can people give this a shot?

http://shamyl.zakariya.net/etc/gl/TerrainDemo.zip

It's a completely new camera control system. It's a new approach for me, and has some rough spots. But it's inspired by my experience with offroading type games. I wanted to be able to have the vehicle bounce, tumble & spin out without having the camera fly around like crazy. Plus, the camera's prevented from going into static geometry. And a lot of fine tuning.

Anyway, please let me know if there's any improvement in your opinion to the driveablility.

(please note, the car still flips way too easily... as before, hit delete to flip the car upright)
Oldtimer
Quote:If only I had any idea why Fenris saw that DDHidLib bug
I had a mouse attached to my MBP, as well as a Wacom tablet. Corrobated above, but it works fine now. Smile
Sage
Fenris Wrote:I had a mouse attached to my MBP, as well as a Wacom tablet. Corrobated above, but it works fine now. Smile

I was able to reproduce this on my mac pro at work, where I use a wacom tablet as well. However, it's not reproducable on my personal MBP with the wacom plugged in.

The MBP doesn't have the wacom tablet driver/controlpanel installed...
Yeah, those Wacom drivers are a never ending source of problems from my own experience -- whacky deltas when in proximity, mouse warps don't work, still using QuickDraw, constraint only works on like half the screen of a second monitor, and on and on... They just didn't quite get it right, although I haven't looked for new drivers lately.

I'm pretty sure DDHidLib needs to be updated for the new HID API, although I don't know if that'd cure the Wacom whackiness. I suppose there might be a remote possibility that creating a context for your application with the Wacom driver might help, but I wouldn't put money on it. If you want to take a stab at that, just let me know; I have code in GameBase that does that pretty easy, so I can point you at it. I'm going to have to deal with HID myself within the next few months, so I'll be hitting this issue too, no doubt.