Please help me get started.

Apprentice
Hello everyone my name is makinggames.
I have programmed WIN32 applications for some time and I have an extensive knowledge in C++. I started programming applications and games for the Macintosh using GLUT and OpenGL a couple of days ago and now I decided that I would like a new challenge so I thought about making Apps for the iPhone SmileSmile.

I would like to know some newbie things about iPhone/iPod Touch development such as:

-What language(s) I could use to program for it.
-Which programming language(s) you use.
-What programming language(s) is commonly used.
-What programming language(s) is the easiest to learn.
-The benefits of the programming language(s) you use.
-Where i could go to get started.
-A good book about it that should buy.
-And any other helpful information you can throw in.

Please excuse my questions if they seem mildly/extremely stupid, but i'm new at programming for the iPhone so please forgive me if I have just wasted your time.

P.S Also please excuse my bad grammar, i'm from brazil and English is my second language Rasp.

Thank you in advance, makinggames.
Quote this message in a reply
-What language(s) I could use to program for it.
Obj-C
-Which programming language(s) you use.
Obj-C
-What programming language(s) is commonly used.
Obj-C
-What programming language(s) is the easiest to learn.
Obj-C is your only real choice, while you can write in C you cant interact with the device much.
-The benefits of the programming language(s) you use.
Obj-C is the language that the APIs are written to.
-Where i could go to get started.
developer.apple.com is a great resource, as well as the built in documentation in Xcode
-A good book about it that should buy.
My recommendation is -
http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-...523&sr=8-1
-And any other helpful information you can throw in.
The iPhone is very similar to programming on the Mac so take what you have learned there and apply it to the iPhone.

PS: I do appreciate you referring to it as the iPod Touch and not iTouch, that drives me nuts, so thanks.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
C++, C++, C++. Just create a wrapper from one of Apple's samples (eg. crash lander), and have it interact with your app with plain old C. Keep Obj-C to a minimum (2 files).
C, C++ and bits of Obj-C to handle the system bits.

I've written a chapter for a recently published book:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Games-Proje...586&sr=1-1

which deals with setting up and writing an OpenGL ES game from scratch in Xcode (as well as how to auto-save your game data on the game exiting or an incoming phone call).

Other than getting the hang of the required GL setup bits and the Obj-C that you tend to have to use to wrap things, you don't need to relearn all that much if you've already written games in C/C++.
kodex Wrote:PS: I do appreciate you referring to it as the iPod Touch and not iTouch, that drives me nuts, so thanks.

I'm not alone! *shakes hand* Grin

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
@Zwilnik: I think that's awesome, concerning the book. I've pre-ordered the book and can't wait for it to arrive (learning all the OpenGL I can in the mean time).

@Kodex: I had no idea people didn't like the iPod Touch being called an iTouch. To me, it's a way to simplify the name, though I guess I see where it can come off sounding odd. I'll just say iPhone now so I can ensure I get along with everyone. Rasp

~Achi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting Started Achithyn 4 3,086 May 13, 2009 01:27 PM
Last Post: Achithyn
  Where to go after "Getting Started"? XxtraLarGe 4 3,120 Oct 17, 2008 10:14 AM
Last Post: XxtraLarGe