iPhone 3GS

http://www.clintharris.net/2009/iphone-m...ctlbyname/

pretty much the "as suggested by Apple" technique.

iPhone2,1 is the 3GS.

Only downside is you'll have to update as new hardware comes out with new strings.
Quote this message in a reply
Nice one, thanks Zwilnik. Right now there's just one graphics setting I want to set differently if users are on an iPhone 3G so that code should be fine.
Detecting a specific model is a terrible thing to do. You should directly check for the features and capabilities that you're actually using, rather than assuming them from a model name.
Frogblast Wrote:Detecting a specific model is a terrible thing to do. You should directly check for the features and capabilities that you're actually using, rather than assuming them from a model name.

That's doable for OpenGL but unfortunately the APIs don't give you specific tests for Vibration (something Apple will now ding you for having a button for if it's not on the device) or general device speed. I've logged a feature request bug for the vibration capability but for the moment, knowing what the device is, is the only way to test for certain capabilities. Imperfect, but will do for the moment.
Yeah I'm just looking for general device speed (so I can switch to low level of detail terrain for devices slower than an iPod Touch 2G) so if there is a better way of figuring that out I'd love to hear it.
Sage
sysctl can give you the CPU clock too. That's better than keying off a model name (that you have to track as more and more models are released), but still not good.
Nibbie
funkboy Wrote:For anybody still using first gen iPhone, this upgrade is a no brainer. Video quality is quite nice for a cell phone, too!

Anyone else get one?

Whats the video resolution on the iphone? I personally don't own one, but I saw a youtube clip running on an iphone 3G from a friend and the quality was horrible, but I guess this is because it was a streamed low bitrate youtube clip?
Otherwise it should be able higher res .mp4 files right? I think my nokia does 640x360 which actually looks pretty decent..
georgiph Wrote:Whats the video resolution on the iphone? I personally don't own one, but I saw a youtube clip running on an iphone 3G from a friend and the quality was horrible, but I guess this is because it was a streamed low bitrate youtube clip?
Otherwise it should be able higher res .mp4 files right? I think my nokia does 640x360 which actually looks pretty decent..

Video:
640x480, H.264, 30 or 15fps

Audio
AAC, mono, 44.100 kHz

The iPhone seems to select 30 or 15 fps based on the light level. Low-light video that requires a lot of exposure work gets 15fps. Bright, well-lit video gets 30 fps.