iPhone 3GS

Just picked one up today. Went 45 minutes after my local AT&T store opened, just out of curiosity. Expected a line of 100, only had a line of about 10 who didn't preorder, me included. I got there at 7:45, by 8:25 I had the exact iPhone 3GS I wanted, activated and working. Came back, restored and synced up, and I am ready to go.

The speed is a lot faster than the first generation iPhone. I never had the 3G model. In general, I am very impressed. My own app launches faster, Twitteriffic launches a lot faster, and the 3GS is even lighter than the first gen iPhone.

For anybody still using first gen iPhone, this upgrade is a no brainer. Video quality is quite nice for a cell phone, too!

Anyone else get one?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
Make sure you are careful with watchDog and test on your old and new device. Processor speed increases are a double edge sword when it comes to development.

I havent gotten mine yet im heading down later tonight when things quiet down.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Mine arrived today. It's awesome! Everything feels so much faster! VoiceOver seems to work nicely, though I only played with it for a little bit. Compass map orienting is fantastic. Oleophobic screen really works. Really cool.
I'm upgrading from a first gen as well, quite awesome. So fast!!
Alex
I'm very impressed, everything feels much snappier and the video is great! The only problem is now I need an iPod Touch with 2.2 to test my apps on, at least they should be cheaper by now
It literally is twice as fast as the previous devices. My games struggle to get 30fps on 1st gen iPod touch and iPhone 2G. I get silky-smooth never-drop-below-60fps on the 3GS. Even if you're not a developer, the extra speed alone is worth the upgrade.
Has anyone gone the PAYG upgrade route for a 1st gen iPhone yet? (buying a PAYG 3GS and swapping the sims so your original contract sim is in the 3GS and the original iPhone becomes a PAYG).

I'm on O2 and my contract is nicely past its end date, but I'd rather just get the PAYG so I can ditch the contract whenever I want (rather than upgrading and being tied for another 18 months), just in case O2 lose the deal or come out with a super cheap contract later on. I need to keep my 1st gen iPhone running for dev purposes of course.
My only problem had been with activation, had to call AT&T twice for almost an hour and a half until I got my phone activated (it had been 5 hours of waiting before that). Ah well, release date troubles, check Rasp.
Alex
Could I ask a favour of someone who has an iPhone 3G S? Could you check what string you get from this code?

Code:
[[UIDevice currentDevice] model]

It would be a massive help, thanks!
I should note that in the SDK3.0 the simulator is intel-only.
(For those ppc owners out there)
And my iPod Touch has been bricked by iTunes8.2, the mobile device support is buggy.
My dad has the same issue with his iPone3GS.
I wonder if any of you have seen this?
Oddity007 Wrote:I should note that in the SDK3.0 the simulator is intel-only.
(For those ppc owners out there)

The iPhone SDK has always been Intel only, hasn't it?
monteboyd Wrote:The iPhone SDK has always been Intel only, hasn't it?

I believe so as well.
Alex
monteboyd Wrote:Could I ask a favour of someone who has an iPhone 3G S? Could you check what string you get from this code?

Code:
[[UIDevice currentDevice] model]

It would be a massive help, thanks!

I get "iPhone", the same as with a 3G.
Thanks for checking ThemsAllTook. I guess that's not a way to check what device a user is on then.
monteboyd Wrote:Thanks for checking ThemsAllTook. I guess that's not a way to check what device a user is on then.

There has to be some way. Maybe check for the availability of one of the new OpenGL ES 2.0 features?