OpenGL Image Textures

Sage
Mikey,

You should google around for the basics on static libraries, what it means to link against them, etc. I don't know if Apple's docs cover all this as regards Xcode, but it wouldn't hurt to search int hat context as well.

It seems to me that you're just not getting something here, and as AnotherJake says, this is about the easiest thing in the world. At least if you're using C and C-derived languages for OpenGL.

One other thing you might try would be to drop static libs all together and just bring the SOIL code into your project.
Quote this message in a reply
I am sure your lib, demo and instructions are great. Beginners will still find the most surprising ways to do things in ways you didn't anticipate (but less often if it is done well). And they are not stupid, they just havn't been there before. There's nothing better than a simple demo, especially to show how to use a library (I wish Apple would learn that), but the beginners still have to hack it, put it into their own environment, and mess it up.

Now, speaking of harder: Using libpng is harder since there are at least three totally different ways to do it, more ways to go wrong, several ways that need to be learned. In the case of SOIL, I suppose it is "local copy" only, but that isn't true in general for libpng. If I don't pick one way and stick to it, I may end up with libpng installed in lots of places on my drive. This isn't only a question for libpng but of more general nature. How are third-party libraries best handled? Unix-style, local, or framework? I may note that the "local copy" version is likely to be the one you will find first, which makes the choice harder.

And I havn't even mentioned dynamic libraries... Yes I have, since a framework is just that. Confusing for beginners? Absolutely.

Is your conclusion that you prefer the local copy approach?
I'm a strong advocate of the local copy approach, for simple reasons of good configuration management. If all of the libraries you use are contained within your project, you can check it out onto any computer with developer tools installed and be able to build it out-of-the-box. It becomes an absolute nightmare to manage the building of a project that requires libraries to be installed - what if, for example, you need to build two such projects on the same computer, but they require different and conflicting versions of the same library?

Dynamic libraries are also something I tend to avoid, but they certainly have their place...
Ingemar Wrote:Is your conclusion that you prefer the local copy approach?
Yes, I tend to prefer local copies. I don't tend to use many external libraries in the first place, and the ones I do tend to be very small (less than 100 KB to maybe a few MB for the most complex). SOIL would be a great prototypical example of a library I would approve of using. Although, I will use larger libraries if they are really necessary.

Often times when I am developing my own static libs I will keep them in a central location in my dev folder until I get enough kinks worked out.

I tend to avoid dynamic linked libraries, except for a few. One dynamically linked library I happen to use is my own windowing framework, so that it's simpler to package up nib files and support assets like control widgets and so on... And even that I am considering ditching dynamic and going static. I agree that dynamic libraries are a pain in the butt for sure, and certainly easier to confuse beginners with.

Static libraries are really simple though, generally speaking.
Well, I've decided to stick with SOIL. The project is in my iDisk's Public folder. michael_mac_i is the username.

~ Bring a Pen ~
The libSOIL.a that is in the project is still bogus. Are you sure you made a new one and replaced the old one in your project? Throw the one that's in your project in the trash so it doesn't get mistaken for a good one. I tried it with mine and your project works just fine. If you still can't get the right one built, I'll email you my libSOIL.

I made a few adjustments for you, including normals and enabling/disabling texturing as needed. Here's the code:

Code:
void drawScene(void) // ########################### HOPEFULLY WE'LL REPLACE THIS WITH A MODEL LOADER. BUT FOR NOW...
{
    glLineWidth(2.0f);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, flats_tex);

// only enable texturing for objects which are textured, so turn on now
    glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
    glColor4f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f); // <-- all white, no alpha for texture (unless you want it to tint)

glNormal3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // <-- need to specify normals when lighting is on
    glTexCoord2d(0.0f,0.0f); glVertex3f( -100.0f, -1.0f, -100.0f);    

glNormal3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
    glTexCoord2d(0.0f,1.0f);  glVertex3f(-100.0f,-1.0f, 100.0f);        

glTexCoord2d(1.0f,1.0f);  glVertex3f( 100.0f,-1.0f, 100.0f);

glTexCoord2d(1.0f,0.0f);     glVertex3f( 100.0f,-1.0f,-100.0f);
    glEnd();

// don't want texturing enabled for objects that aren't textured, so turn off now
    glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
Ahh... It works! I think I created the first ones wrong, then when trying to make the second ones forgot to clear out the obj folder.

Thankyou for your time and patience. Smile

~ Bring a Pen ~
Right on! Glad to see you finally got texture loading added to your repertoire. It's going to add a huge dimension to your projects.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [SOLVED]OpenGL edges of textures mk12 2 4,478 Sep 2, 2010 08:07 PM
Last Post: mk12
  Dealing with inverted textures in OpenGL johncmurphy 7 7,122 Jun 15, 2009 08:11 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Using textures OpenGL switches to software renderer bruno 2 3,603 Oct 12, 2008 03:06 AM
Last Post: bruno
  Loading and using textures with alpha in OpenGL with Cocoa corporatenewt 4 6,417 Dec 8, 2007 02:06 PM
Last Post: Malarkey
  loading textures - cocoa openGL mDmarco 20 9,483 Aug 28, 2007 08:48 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie