Approach suggestions please?

Hi

I'm doing an MSc in Games Programming, and for my Dissertation ( from mid june to mid september) I have to do an iPhone game and get it published on the AppStore.

Now I've NEVER programmed on the Mac before, but for the last 3 years (Undergrad) I've got alot of experience with C++ / OpenGL (desktop version NOT ES) and C#

So my question is - because I have a very tight and fixed deadline, is it better to try and to the game in C++ / OpenGL and just write an Objective C wrapper to handle the touch / accel / etc... then pass messages to my own C++ that does the real work?

Or should I plunge right into Obj C?

I've bought the following books (but I'm TERRIBLE at trying to read them):

Beginning iPhone Development
iPhone developers cookbook
cocoa programming for mac os x
programming in objective c 2.0
core animation for mac os x and the iPhone

as well as a couple more on order from Amazon.

Please can anyone pass on their thoughts / suggestions and advice?

Thanks

Elphaba
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, just do a thin Objective-C++ wrapper for your C++ and OpenGL code. You will require very little access to UIKit, except for the basics, like you said, accelerometer, touch input, etc., but also including setting up your OpenGL view and maybe a little bit to get your working file directory set up. I wouldn't bother trying to learn much of any of the UIKit stuff or delving too deeply into Obj-C if you're on a deadline. Just copy and paste what little you'll need. Check out the oolong engine to get some ideas for using C++ with OpenGL on the iPhone.
Also, just as a note: iDG doesn't allow cross-posting amongst the sub forums here, so I had to delete your other thread (sorry). Generally, everyone will see what you're looking for if you just post it in one place.
Thank you so much for your advice.

It was kinda were I was leaning last night before I went to bed - and when I woke up and checked my email, you validated my feelings.

Because of the nature of my Masters Degree, I'm not allowed to use an 'engine' provided by a third party - I have to do it all myself, but the oolong was a great place to take a look at.

Sorry about the XPosting.. wasn't sure if it was okay, but I just wanted feedback asap, because my first 'real' day 'on the job' as it were starts on Monday... so I have to be ready to roll by then.

Do you know if there is any examples of such a thin wrapper and how to do it yourself? I'm thinking that I might be able to take the notes from the books I've got and cobble it together, but hey, why re-invent the wheel, with trial and error, esp. if someone's already found the pitfalls and can point them out?

Thanks so much for all your help, answering my questions lately. I really means alot to have some valuable feedback on a forum. They are not usually known for such things anymore.

Regards

Elphaba
Glad to help. Smile

Unfortunately, no, I don't know of any thin wrappers off-hand. Maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3D Landcape multi-texturing approach wonza 1 2,379 Apr 17, 2012 09:26 AM
Last Post: wonza