? Please help: 2D scroller Level Designs

Hi

I'm going to be making a 2D shoot 'em up scroller game, that can scroll in both X and Y.

The players spaceship sits in roughly the center of the screen and the background / level needs to scroll around, with the baddies and other bits and pieces placed around on it.

So, could someone please suggest where I can find out the biggest 'image' that my 'level' background can be? As that (or a tiling of several of them) will be my entire 'level'.

Also, is this the most efficient way to do this?

And finally, for those dev's that have done something like this before - if you want to add levels to your game, do you find yourselves writing a 'level editor / designer tool' to do this and export it into some file format that your application can read?

I ask this because when my game is released I'd like to 'add' further content down the road... i.e. more levels... and not just replace the entire 'game'.

How do we go about doing that via the app store and SDK?

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Elphaba Wrote:So, could someone please suggest where I can find out the biggest 'image' that my 'level' background can be? As that (or a tiling of several of them) will be my entire 'level'.
From my experience with seeing gw0rp run on computers with integrated graphics, I can say that the maximum texture size you can rely on is 2048 pixels in either dimension.

EDIT: Oh wait, this is the iPhone forum, so probably much smaller, more on the order of 512x512.

Quote:Also, is this the most efficient way to do this?
You could draw a huge background image, split it up into 1024x1024-pixel tiles, and then draw the collision map over it. Another option would be to have a small tiled background and write a level editor to place objects over it.

Quote:And finally, for those dev's that have done something like this before - if you want to add levels to your game, do you find yourselves writing a 'level editor / designer tool' to do this and export it into some file format that your application can read?
Yes. It's almost always necessary. The time you lose by writing a graphical editor will definitely be compensated by the time you save by using it.

Quote:How do we go about doing that via the app store and SDK?
Apple introduced downloadable content at the most recent WWDC, so you won't be able to do that for a few months.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
OpenGL ES on the iPhone can handle textures of 1024x1024 pixels max, with a total size of (I think) 21MB.

For level editing, I use the "Tiled" map editor: http://mapeditor.org/
It saves your maps as xml files for easy reading (there's an option to turn off the default gzipping, if that's a problem for you.)
How would you get it to read XML?
chrism Wrote:How would you get it to read XML?

On Iphone you can use NSXMLParser. I read the xml and put the data directly into a set of arrays (C arrays) that I read and draw from.
I've not used Tiled myself, although I probably would have if I had found it a while ago. It seems pretty popular and well supported. However, if you're not looking for a tile based-editor for your game, it probably isn't the option for you. It also make some assumptions about layers that you might want to do differently. (Although you probably can just ignore the parts of the xml output you don't like)

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Random Generated Terrain for Side Scroller OldJames 6 4,267 May 16, 2009 10:47 PM
Last Post: OldJames