Learning curve, looking for advice

Hey guys,

I've dropped website development (HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL) to develop video games for the iPhone. Thus far, I've read a book on C (and completed two college classes in C and C++), finished a book on Objective-C (just last week), and am building an application using UIKit. I decided to build a simple application in order to solidify my knowledge of Objective-C and have learned a lot in the last week. However, I feel as if I'm going down the wrong path and am losing interest in building an application.

What would you suggest at this point? Should I push myself through and finish a simple application and then start down the path of video game development training? Or, do you think I know enough about Objective-C to get by and should pass up on publishing an application?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

~Achi
Quote this message in a reply
You have to ask yourself: If your goal is to make games for iPhone, then how does making an "app" help achieve that goal? If you feel that it really helps, then by all means, push yourself through it. But if you're not feeling very motivated on it, would you feel more motivated if you were actually working directly on a game instead?

What does your gut tell you?

Trust the gut.
That's very true, working on an actual game would peak my interests. I simply don't know what I'll need to know to make a game, which is why I'm learning everything I can about each part. I know I need to know C for the game, OpenGL ES 1.1 for the graphics, and Objective-C for interacting with the device. Are there any benefit to learning the UIKit for game making (if you plan to use OpenGL ES)?

Thanks for the reply!

~Achi
Achithyn Wrote:Are there any benefit to learning the UIKit for game making (if you plan to use OpenGL ES)?

No, there aren't many benefits to learning much UIKit for game making. Stick to making games in C (or even C++ if you are so inclined) and learning OpenGL ES and you'll be right on with the best of them.

[adding] The canonical advice is to start with something like Pong or Tic-Tac-Toe or Asteroids. You can't go wrong starting off by copying the simplistic but fun greats because it removes one of the hard parts, which is design, and lets you focus on the programming.
That's fantastic advice. I'm already getting excited! Grin I think Astroids would be a lot of fun to program. I'm sure I'll run into a lot of problems along the way, though I'll do my best to not bother you guys too much. Thanks for your replies!

~Achi
icodeblog.com has a simple tennis game example, this should help you get started on 2D game development.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Where to start learning iPhone development JonnyThunder 13 9,590 Oct 6, 2009 02:40 AM
Last Post: TrueScot
  S.o.s - Looking Book For Learning Game Developming For Iphone.. gb007 2 2,333 Aug 19, 2009 04:29 AM
Last Post: cool mr croc
  learning resources?? snovak 1 2,350 Oct 2, 2008 03:54 PM
Last Post: JustinFic