iPhone/iPod Touch OS Statistics

I've searched everywhere, but I can't find a chart or any information on the percentage of iPhone/iPod devices running 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, ect. Does anyone know of any information on this?

Basically I have all kinds of goodies planned for GL Golf on the iPhone, but I'm not sure when to release a version that requires 3.0. I should be able to make some extra money with in app purchasing, but I'll definitely lose money from 2.x users that can't buy the game. I'm thinking when ~70% of the user base has 3.0 I'd be comfortable submitting to iTune Connect.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm sure several of you have the same dilemma.
Quote this message in a reply
Illuminations and my current project that'll be finished up soon will be using 2.x-only features at 3.0 launch. I'm going to slowly work in 3.0-only features like StoreKit and improved graphics on 3GS until I require 3.0 in 3-6 months.

I haven't done full testing yet, but you can build against the 3.0 SDK and target 2.0/1/2. Worked fine for 2.x on devices, and works fine for 3.0 and 2.x in the simulator. Just haven't gotten a chance yet to test a 3.0 app on a 2.0 device.

Build settings:

iPhone OS Deployment Target: iPhone OS 2.2 (or whatever)
Base SDK: iPhone Device 3.0

Then you can check for a system version in code, and have two different paths for different versions.

Code:
NSString    *version21 = @"2.1";
NSString    *version21 = @"3.0";
NSString    *sysVersion;

sysVersion = [[UIDevice currentDevice] systemVersion];
if ([[sysVersion substringToIndex:3] isEqualToString:version21])
{
    // Do whatever
}
else if ([[sysVersion substringToIndex:3] isEqualToString:version30])
{
    // Do whatever with 3.0 style!
}

There's other ways to do version testing (respondsToSelector:, etc), so if anyone else has a better/different way...
That's great news, I figured there might be some solution like that. I just got my mac project setup for three different binaries, I finally have a grip on most aspects of XCode now.

I'll give the code a try sometime in the next week, I've been way more busy at WWDC than I expected!
Relating to targeting different devices (in addition to the OS version) kodex provided a solution for getting the device model in this thread. Once someone gets their hands on an iPhone 3GS it would be great top know what string [[UIDevice currentDevice] model] returns.
Just a follow up, if you do this you will need to weak link the new frameworks. Here is Apples documentation - http://developer.apple.com/documentation...nking.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How much can I stuff in to video ram? (on iPhone/iPod touch) Jamie W 9 9,238 Aug 6, 2010 05:23 AM
Last Post: mariocaprino
  Pause/Resume on IPod touch tonysameh 0 2,254 Jul 26, 2010 06:34 AM
Last Post: tonysameh
  iPod Touch not multitasking not working??? Toontingy 1 3,822 Jun 24, 2010 04:13 PM
Last Post: sealfin
  iPhone Only? Not for iPod Touch? daveh84 4 4,025 May 7, 2010 10:46 PM
Last Post: cmiller
  Detecting hardware, which iPhone/iPod I'm running on? Jamie W 9 7,263 Apr 13, 2010 11:27 AM
Last Post: Frank C.