Can you use an iPod touch as a development/test device?

Apprentice
When it comes time to try testing/debugging on an actual device, not the simulator, can you use an iPod touch, or does it HAVE to be an iPhone? If you can use an iPod touch, do you still have the full debugging/profiling functionality?

Thanks,
Lindsay
Quote this message in a reply
Yes you can, that's what lots of us do. The only things you won't have are the functions the iPhone has that the iPod Touch doesn't, like vibration for example.

The only other thing to be aware of is that the 2nd generation iPod Touch actually has a slightly faster processor than the iPhone 3G so you'll definitely want one of your beta testers to play on a iPhone before release. Of course after WWDC we'll probably have a third, faster generation of iPhone to content with, but there'll still be loads of users on the current model iPhone 3G.

Oh, and after all my years on iDevGames there's finally a fellow Sydney-sider on here and I've moved to London! Sad
Apprentice
Thanks for that Smile My wife has an iPhone and will be happy to test the games for me, but would probably be less impressed if I was running away with it for hours at a time as a development machine! I was hoping the iPod would work out as that way I'll be able to test both.

As for moving to London - I'm jealous! Apart from writing games I'm also an artist, and I'd love to go see all the great galleries in Europe. In a few years, when I've made millions from my games and my art ... LOL

Thanks,
Lindsay
Do not forget an iPod Touch runs faster than an iPhone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How much can I stuff in to video ram? (on iPhone/iPod touch) Jamie W 9 9,755 Aug 6, 2010 05:23 AM
Last Post: mariocaprino
  Pause/Resume on IPod touch tonysameh 0 2,337 Jul 26, 2010 06:34 AM
Last Post: tonysameh
  iPod Touch not multitasking not working??? Toontingy 1 3,927 Jun 24, 2010 04:13 PM
Last Post: sealfin
  iPhone Only? Not for iPod Touch? daveh84 4 4,154 May 7, 2010 10:46 PM
Last Post: cmiller
  Setting up a workstation for artists/designers to test on a device SufferinPup 6 4,047 Apr 30, 2010 09:07 PM
Last Post: SufferinPup