Newbie question: simple Sesame Street-like app

Nibbie
Dear friends
Greetings. I'm an old software developer (last time I wrote C++ code was in 2000) and have some newbie questions that I would like your thoughts on, please.

Before deep-diving into full-fledged games, I want to develop a really simple iPhone app that looks exactly like the Sesame Street iPhone app, to create a children's story for iPhone/iPad. It would have:

1> Simple "Flash-like" 2D cartoon characters on simple background (no 3D model, no effects)
2> Standard navigation buttons Next/Back/Index
3> Text captions
4> If not too difficult, a narrator voiceover
Essentially, a simple read-along story with pictures meant for iPhone/iPad.

My questions:
1> I plan on hiring an artist to do each frame of the illustration. Does it matter what tool he uses (Flash, 3DSmax, Illustrator, Sketchbook, Photoshop) to create these simple illustrations?
2> What should be the file format for the above illustrations? Should it be .obj, .psd, .png?
3> Would I need to write Objective-C code to tie the art assets to the navigation to build the app, or is it possible to create the app as a media file and just use the iPhone app as a container to play the media file?
4> If I need to write Obj-C code, which modules/classes/UIkit should I study further to build the code that would hook the artwork, captions and navigation controls together?
5> What do I need to do to add simple voiceover (narrative)?

Just looking for some guidance/pointers from you all, so I can build this simple app. I thank you in advance.

RB
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Hello!

1) Well the short answer is it doesn't matter what tool he uses, as long as you get an image of them in an image format.

2) If they're 2D I don't know why you'd use obj. Just use an image format. png and tiff work well.

3) Vague question. If you want an app with actual navigation (not just press Play like with a movie), then you'll need to write code to handle it. But for the animations themselves, they can be movies that you're simply playing (rather than performing the animation in code).

4) Views, view controllers, buttons, text fields... All of the obvious things you'll need. Start with typical app tutorials, and you'll pick it up quickly.

5) You just need to load a sound and play it. It's pretty straightforward with lots of examples around.

I'd recommend you simply go through some tutorials and read some of the basic overview documentation in the iPhone Application Programming Guide to get a sense of how it all works, then you'll have more of an idea of what you need to do to create your game. Once you get to that stage you can ask more specifically about which path might be best for a particular thing.
Nibbie
FreakSoftware Wrote:Hello!

1) Well the short answer is it doesn't matter what tool he uses, as long as you get an image of them in an image format.

2) If they're 2D I don't know why you'd use obj. Just use an image format. png and tiff work well.

3) Vague question. If you want an app with actual navigation (not just press Play like with a movie), then you'll need to write code to handle it. But for the animations themselves, they can be movies that you're simply playing (rather than performing the animation in code).

4) Views, view controllers, buttons, text fields... All of the obvious things you'll need. Start with typical app tutorials, and you'll pick it up quickly.

5) You just need to load a sound and play it. It's pretty straightforward with lots of examples around.

I'd recommend you simply go through some tutorials and read some of the basic overview documentation in the iPhone Application Programming Guide to get a sense of how it all works, then you'll have more of an idea of what you need to do to create your game. Once you get to that stage you can ask more specifically about which path might be best for a particular thing.

Thank you Seth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie question. Mazinga 3 3,905 Apr 27, 2011 11:54 AM
Last Post: Mazinga
  Quick Newbie Question Wayrath 1 2,206 Apr 17, 2010 07:39 PM
Last Post: smasher
  "Simple" OpenGLES (2D) efficiency question .. for OpenGLES experts! fattoh 19 9,732 Apr 14, 2010 06:00 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Simple 3D Game Engine(well not that simple) geoface 9 8,996 Apr 14, 2010 04:08 AM
Last Post: sio2interactive
  simple question macnib 4 2,859 Dec 4, 2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: macnib