Installing iPhone 3.0 Beta 5

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install the newest beta to my iPod Touch, though am not sure how. There's no install guide or anything from Apple that I can find. I've downloaded the iPhone 3.0 Beta 5 for the iPod Touch Second Generation (which is what I own). When the file finishes downloading, there's a file that iTunes opens and that's that . . . nothing happens. When I double click the icon, iTunes loads up and does nothing.

I have iTunes 8.2 (23), which was the public release of 8.2, not the pre-release for developers (which isn't being offered anymore). I've updated my Xcode to 3.1.3 (with the newest iPhone SDK) and have tested my first app on my iTouch (for the very first time, exciting!). Though, nothing that I do with iTunes and this OS update has worked. Is there a step by step guide on installing the new OS?

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

~Achi
Quote this message in a reply
Hold option (or ctrl) while clicking Update in iTunes. It'll give you a choice of a firmware to use.
Thanks Bruss14! That seemed to be what I was missing. Off to be productive! Grin

~Achi
There's also a way to do it in the Organize(r?) window in Xcode that I can't quite remember off hand. You select a firmware, but I don't remember if you have to copy it to a specific folder first for it to work that way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  installing app via xcode to iphone 4s, cause iphone to freeze while calling or receiv sefiroths 3 3,986 Feb 11, 2012 12:10 PM
Last Post: sefiroths
  iPhone Developer Program: Installing iPhone OS miq01 5 3,505 Feb 25, 2009 06:46 PM
Last Post: miq01
  GL Golf for iPhone Beta Jake 11 5,890 Oct 2, 2008 12:02 PM
Last Post: Jake
  Tetravex for iPhone looking for beta testers Holmes 22 7,800 Aug 20, 2008 06:15 PM
Last Post: Holmes