RAM upgrade for my Mini

So I'm thinking about chucking out some money to buy an upgrade for my Mac Mini due to being tired of straggling by on 512 MB. My computer is a Mac Mini 1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo w/512 MB RAM and 80 GB Hard drive - 64 MB GMA 950(shared, as I'm sure you know).

Anyway, my areas of interest are Cocoa dev and Game dev(3D and 2D in the future). My question is: will getting an upgrade help me? Currently, my computer runs slow when having Safari, iTunes, Interface Builder, and XCode all open at once . It runs tolerably with just XCode open, but the Documentation browser also knocks my speed down. I would think this is a problem with a deficiency in RAM. However, will the extra ram help when using Unity(it would obviously help some - a better question would be if it would help enough), or do I have to get a better graphics card for that?

I don't have the money for a new computer, and don't plan on having the money for a new computer for quite some time. However, I have read a lot about the miraculous properties of RAM upgrades, and it looks pretty cheap through OWC, so if that will help my situation by any significant amount, I think I'll do that.

So my second question would be: Is OWC trustworthy/easy to go through, and should I perform the surgery myself? If I brick my computer, I'll pretty much be up the creek.

Thanks for any help.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, a RAM upgrade in the Mini from 512 MB will definitely help. 2GB should be enough, but get more if it'll fit/you can afford it.

Yes, OWC has been flawless for me over many years now. I cannot possibly give them any higher recommendation.

Don't do the upgrade if you don't think you can do it though because the Minis can be tricky. Luckily, OWC has extensive video tutorials on their site, so download those first and see if you think you can do it. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend learning on your main machine. That said, surely you can find someone around you who'd be willing to help out on the installation for cheap or FREE (tip: always capitalize FREE). Wink

Whatever you do when installing anything on computers, do not do it when you have any static electricity around the house, without a proper understanding of how to ground things. Modern electronics is highly sensitive to static electricity. Generally speaking, don't do installations while standing on carpet, and don't do it during periods of low humidity (without proper grounding, including wrist-strap(s)).
Thanks for the reply.

It looks as though the Mini can only hold 2 GB - as much as I want to pay right now anyway... I'll watch some videos and check around for someone who might be willing to help.

Again, thanks for the help. Smile

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/