AVAudioPlayer

I'm just wondering why apple recommends the AVAudioPlayer for playing mp3 files. AVAudioPlayer is only available for iPhone OS 2.2, so you would be limiting your game to only people with the latest upgrade (and lose sales as a result)
Quote this message in a reply
Because the upgrade to iPhone OS 2.2 is FREE. Not to mention how buggy audio is in general prior to 2.2.
AnotherJake Wrote:Because the upgrade to iPhone OS 2.2 is FREE. Not to mention how buggy audio is in general prior to 2.2.

But can you be sure that the majority of users upgraded?
I used to make J2ME games before and the golden rule was never to depend on the user upgrading. It doesn't matter if it's free, non-techy users don't care about about that stuff.
captainfreedom Wrote:But can you be sure that the majority of users upgraded?

No. I have no idea how many users upgrade, and Apple doesn't want me to know. In fact, that is the core issue with iPhone upgrades (and everything to do with iPhone): Apple owns and operates the entire iPhone ecosystem (minus the piracy of course), so you don't really have much choice in letting them deal with the stragglers.

Honestly, I'm going to tell you right now that worrying about maximizing the number of users who purchase your product will have next to nothing to do with how many upgraded or not. You have to make a *great* game, or be really lucky, or be first at a toilet/boob gag, to even get noticed on the App Store. There isn't much in-between when it comes to making it or flopping it on iPhone. Worrying about which users are using >= OS 2.2 is completely wasting your effort, and it will expose you to users who give you bad ratings because your app crashes more.

Not to mention the fact that pre OS 2.2 audio development is painful anyway. However, if you really really want to, I posted GBMusicTrack around here somewhere if you really wanna play mp3's pre-2.2, in an AVAudioPlayer-esque fashion.
Someone in the Mac dev community (Wil Shipley I believe) once said, "If they ain't buying Apple's software, they ain't buying yours." It was in reference to requiring Max OS X.4, but the point stands.

Users who don't upgrade to the newest iPhone OS aren't buying new apps in the App Store anyway.
Thanks for the answer. I will try you GBMusicTrack code. All I need is one background track anyways.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AVAudioPlayer returning -43 FlamingHairball 4 7,188 Aug 31, 2011 10:29 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  AVAudioPlayer kae_ 8 8,713 Aug 10, 2010 04:13 AM
Last Post: kae_
  performance bug in AVAudioPlayer captainfreedom 2 3,965 Aug 4, 2010 12:03 PM
Last Post: captainfreedom
  AVAudioPlayer stutters the game when changing song AdrianM 0 3,757 May 13, 2010 03:59 PM
Last Post: AdrianM
  OpenAL and AVAudioPlayer in the Simulator AkumaStreak 4 5,987 Jul 12, 2009 11:05 AM
Last Post: Madrayken