WII for Bday?

Founder
I'm pondering what to get myself for my Bday. I've been thinking of a WII. Mostly for its fitness games since I can't run after my surgery. My wife is also keen on Animal Crossing as she is a big fan of the DS version. Since I love soccer, I looked at the available titles. I'm surprised no one has made a controller that attaches to your feet so that they could be played in a more natural way (no hands in the sport.. he he). LOL Problem is, I've always found that most soccer games requires perfect memory and reflexes -- which I lack. Maybe nothing will be as simple as Sensible Soccer.

I'm a very very casual gamer, who tends not to like 3D and plays more simulations. Perhaps the last games that I truly loved were Football Manager (soccer sim) and WarCraft 2, so you can see I am behind the times. In fact, my last console was a SEGA Game Gear. So I'm wondering if a modern console is worth buying for my tastes? Most modern games seem to be based around FPS, which I very much don't like.

I thought to perhaps get a PS2 since it has newer games at much lower prices (some games cost more than a console it seems!) and I was impressed with Hot Shots Golf. Though I think Animal Crossing is Nintendo only. A Gamecube might even be enough for the the wife and I.

Any thoughts?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
I still think they should've called it the Nintendo Ninja as JustinFic suggested... Ninja

I don't think I'd consider the PS2. PS3 maybe, but mostly because of the blu-ray player.

I've been thinking about getting a Wii since my relatives brought theirs for a Christmas get-together. Wow, that thing is really really fun with the Wii Fit -- I wouldn't get it without it.

I own an Xbox 360 and couldn't really be more satisfied in terms of the gaming experience there, but I think the Wii is actually really impressive with the Wii Fit and easily differentiates it as a product. Nintendo is obviously more family oriented (my sister and mother like to play on the Wii but won't touch the 360), and Nintendo is obviously not pushing for the AAA market, and it is clear that their strategy works. The Xbox 360 is much more for hardcore gamers, and it is clear that their strategy works too. The 360 also has the Xbox Live Arcade, which has lots of old school games and lighter entertainment games which I absolutely love! Lots of bang for the buck with the 360 for sure.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Wii is not HD ... yet. The 360 is though. HD gaming is definitely a step up if you like pretty graphics. The Wii looks okay for general gaming though.

Including the Wii Fit, the price between the 360 and the Wii is about the same, so it really comes down to what your preference is. For more physical involvement, and more family fun (even the old folks love the Wii Fit -- no joke!), the Wii is the clear winner. For hardcore gaming experience and multiplayer and community interaction the 360 is the hands-down winner. Six to one, half a dozen to the other, take your pick. I don't think you would be disappointed either way, but I highly suspect you might like the Wii more for the physical interaction with the Wii Fit.
I'd recommend buying a 360 with just two games, Oblivion and Fallout 3. These two games alone are good enough to justify the purchase.

wii is fun only in the most superficial of ways(playing with friends, at party's, etc...).Try actually playing something and you're bound to get frustrated at the poor precision controls of the wiimote thing.
NelsonMandella Wrote:I'd recommend buying a 360 with just two games, Oblivion and Fallout 3. These two games alone are good enough to justify the purchase.

Heh... Can't argue with that! Grin
If you don't care about graphics but want to have some real fun, get a Wii (which is what I have)
If you do care about graphics then concider a 360 or PS3. In my opinion both platforms don't have games I would buy, except maybe Gears of War on 360.

Ofcourse the Wii experience is quite unique and you can run GameCube games on it which should be almost free.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
NelsonMandella Wrote:I'd recommend buying a 360 with just two games, Oblivion and Fallout 3. These two games alone are good enough to justify the purchase.

wii is fun only in the most superficial of ways(playing with friends, at party's, etc...).Try actually playing something and you're bound to get frustrated at the poor precision controls of the wiimote thing.

I'd second this. Plus you can get Sensible Soccer on XBLA (and TotemBall if you want a serious workout).
NelsonMandella Wrote:I'd recommend buying a 360 with just two games, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Note that both of those also exist on the PS3.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Note that both of those also exist on the PS3.

duly noted.
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Note that both of those also exist on the PS3.

However, the DLC for them comes out first on the 360 and being 'older' on the 360 they're usually available cheaper Wink
My 360 died (Red Ring Of Death) just after the extended 3 year warranty ran out.

So I got good use out of it for 3 years but was then left with a brick thanks to a very widely spread and common design problem. The things overheat really easily, so you have to be very careful.

As a result I would not recommend a 360 to any one. I now have a PS3 and find it just as good, plus it plays blu-rays which you don't get on the 360. (HD-DVD is a dead format).

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:My 360 died (Red Ring Of Death) just after the extended 3 year warranty ran out.

They sent me a letter a while back saying my warranty had been extended to be a lifetime warranty, supposedly because I purchased the 3 year "service contract" prior to some class action lawsuit. I don't know if that was a US legal liability or what.... But yes, all my personal friends have had theirs red-ring at least once, including myself. It didn't cost me a thing to have it repaired, but it did take a few weeks turnaround. Still, I've had so much entertainment out of it that it wouldn't hurt my feelings in the least to pick up a $200 arcade system to replace it with, and strap my hard drive onto it (actually been thinking about forking out for the big hard drive too, even though they're charging Apple prices for it).

Do you guys have to ship all the way from NZ to the US for Xbox repairs, or do they have repair centers down there?

You're right on about Blu-ray though, which like I mentioned earlier, is the only reason I'd get a PS3 myself. I have a couple friends who have both the PS3 and 360 and they both say the PS3 is no match in overall experience (especially community and XBLA) to the 360. Maybe that is a US-centric perspective though.
I've got a Wii + Wii Fit. Great fun.

I've also got a PS3. The PS3 was mainly for the Blu-ray player. The fact I've hardly touched the games I got with it since November shows just how much all those fancy graphic PS3 games have wowed me compared to the much more used Wii. Every month or so I do look to see what PS3 games are out there but nothing grabs my attention.

Judging by your gaming tastes Carlos I would say the Wii is the one for you.
reubert Wrote:My 360 died (Red Ring Of Death) just after the extended 3 year warranty ran out.

So I got good use out of it for 3 years but was then left with a brick thanks to a very widely spread and common design problem. The things overheat really easily, so you have to be very careful.

As a result I would not recommend a 360 to any one. I now have a PS3 and find it just as good, plus it plays blu-rays which you don't get on the 360. (HD-DVD is a dead format).
Not to mention the fact that the XBox 360 has a disk scratching problem. Essentially, they couldn't be bothered to spend the extra $0.50 for rubber pads to keep the disk in place if the unit is moved. (note that the PC model of the same drive does come with these pads) While it usually doesn't cause an issue if you never purposely or accidentally move your XBox while it's running, a large number of people have had their disks scratched without moving it at all. Microsoft may have fixed this lately, but that still means that there's a whole lot of consoles that have that problem.

The Wii definitely has a lot of casual games, so that should be a pretty good choice. However, with the online stores for both the XBox 360 and PS3, there are quite a few cheap casual games available for those as well. Since you like games that don't tax your reflexes, you might also like RPGs, which would make the PS2 a big win with its large library of RPGs.
I got a Wii when they came out, great fun for everyone in the family. Got a wii fit when they came out as well. Just need the will power to actually use it every day or two. Got myself a Xbox360 for xmas. Great fun as well but the Wii still gets used more for games. The xbox also doubles as my media player for all my movies/tv shows.

With those two I can't see the need for a PS3 myself. Also might be worth checking if you are looking at a PS3 I remember reading some place that the new versions of PS3 do not have the hardware PS2 emulation and may not even have the software emulation so playing the older PS2 games becomes out of the question.

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
I can't recommend getting a PS3 at the moment. Sony will be announcing the PS3 Slim and a price drop in the near future (likely TGS). If you want a PS3 purely for blu-ray, then just get an Apple TV or whatever. Internet delivery is the future, not physical media.

Personally, I recommend a 360 over a PS3. Cheaper, and better exclusives.

Wii has some great games, but they're few and far between. There's a lot of holes in the Wii line-up. It's hard to get a full gaming experience from it.

DS Lite is amazing. Huge lineup of great games. Extremely portable. Loooong battery life. Very affordable. If you don't have one, get one.

PSP is very meh, especially the new PSP-Go. The Go is far too expensive, and until Sony explains how they're going to deal with legacy UMD games, I'd avoid it.