"Sticky" mini-contest favorites

Our recent "Sticky"-themed mini-contest (original thread) was a big success! Vote for your favorite game here. The entries are:
Quote this message in a reply
@StickyThings: I could not figure out how to topple the tower. I guess I'm not smart enough for this kind of game...
@AndyStickyGame: While I love the idea of flying donuts, movement was a bit hard, and the resources obstructed your view.
@Adhesion: This would probably be my favorite game. Add some content, give it some documentation with some explanatory images, and it would be great.
@Toxic: Maybe it's a bug in the UB, but I can't figure out how to jump up the walls. There are some random crashes.
@QuarterStick: It's an interesting concept, but I have no idea how you would turn it into a game.
@gluball: I really like the graphics - more-so than gw0rp(I'll let you figure out if that's a complement Smile), but it also retains some of the gameplay-stoppers of gw0rp, i.e it disrupts the gameplay to have to pause the game, rotate the thrusters, get out of the corner, and rotate them back. Were the little thruster things that send me flying into a wall suppose to be useful, or are they an enemy?

I should like to give the developers of the games to respond before I cast my vote, so I will end this post with a congrats to all who finished their game.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
* StickyThings by DoG: Not much here, sorry.
* AndyStickyGame: Nice graphics, actually makes sense as a game, yet not very sticky. Extra points for using my music.
* Adhesion: Bare-bones, but very excellent and appropriate for the theme.
* Quarterstick: What is the point of this game? To get a bunch of balls or something?
* Toxic: I couldn't figure this one out at all.

As for my own game: I suggested this theme because I wanted to see if I could polish up gw0rp ("gluball"). The code is a lot cleaner now, but as Lincoln said, it still has gameplay flaws and I didn't have the energy to make good levels for it. Finding a level designer has always been one of the hardest parts of making gw0rp.

If anyone can suggest a solution for rotating newly attached turrets and assigning them keys that doesn't disrupt gameplay, I would love to hear it. Catch me on IM or post here.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Toxic had very bad documentation, so I'll explain. ESC quits, after 60 seconds or you get the cube, the game says if you die or live, then waits for you to hit ESC. Jump on to wall and continue to move forward to stick to it. The antidote is up on the rooftops, climb to get it. Read the readme for the rest. I am not vouching for my game and I like ThemsAllTook's game over mine. I just regret not putting a better explaination of the controls.
Congrats to everyone who entered. Some fun stuff.

diordna: If it were up to me, I'd probably simplify it as much as possible. Don't assign a new key to each module, instead work out how much each module should be affected by one key. So when they player presses left, work out which thrusters will work best to rotate the ship to the left. Likewise, just have one fire button and make all turrets aim for the nearest enemy. (Might make it easier, but there'd still be some strategy involved in positioning the turrets so they'd be able have as large a field of view as possible).
maximile Wrote:Don't assign a new key to each module, instead work out how much each module should be affected by one key. So when they player presses left, work out which thrusters will work best to rotate the ship to the left.Likewise, just have one fire button and make all turrets aim for the nearest enemy. (Might make it easier, but there'd still be some strategy involved in positioning the turrets so they'd be able have as large a field of view as possible).
While I do think that your idea is good in general terms, I think I would implement it a little differently.

First of all, I don't think turrets should move. There is just too much that can go wrong - they are very likely to be pointing at something the player doesn't want them to, whether it's the best way or not. The player should be given an opportunity to play the game. I'll probably never remove the ability to rotate units at will.

Second, I don't think it should be limited to just "move" and "fire" keys. In the current build, there is a "burst thruster" that gives you a very quick push in its direction. That wouldn't go well with firing or normal thrusting. To deal with multiple ball types, there should be more kinds of keys. Perhaps the controls to the current configuration could be shown at the top of the screen.

Automatic key assignment is a fantastic idea and will probably save the whole concept. I also plan to implement a ship configuration screen between levels that will let players drag and drop.

My biggest worry right now is the bad behavior of the audio. Gluball just calls pyglet's sound functions like the docs say it's supposed to, so I can only assume the bug is with pyglet. I may have to start hopping between frameworks or languages.

I'm still looking for more suggestions if there are any out there.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Apprentice
I just wanted to give big kudos to all the people who entered, I thought all of these were cool! cheers~
diordna Wrote:While I do think that your idea is good in general terms, I think I would implement it a little differently.

First of all, I don't think turrets should move. There is just too much that can go wrong - they are very likely to be pointing at something the player doesn't want them to, whether it's the best way or not. The player should be given an opportunity to play the game. I'll probably never remove the ability to rotate units at will.

Yeah, as long as it's not required for gameplay(maybe even if it is, as long as it doesn't stop the gameplay), I like the ability to rotate units.

Quote:I'm still looking for more suggestions if there are any out there.

I actually did have a thought - what if you could set up multiple ship configurations and toggle between them with a key? Just an idea...

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Sage
* StickyThings by DoG: Not much here, but it felt really fluid. I really liked playing around with this one.
* AndyStickyGame: Looks nice, but weird. I liked that the available trade values were reflected in the crate sizes. Made it easy to figure out where to sell to. Not so cool that you could easily buy out an entire town's water supply though.
* Adhesion: I liked our Gulf game to which this was similar. The sticking to walls was an awesome extension of that. Probably my favorite as a game.
* Quarterstick: I... didn't really get this one, but you could make a pretty spiral with it. Rasp http://files.slembcke.net/temp/screensho...141411.png
* Toxic: I also couldn't figure this one out. I think you were supposed to wall jump or something, but couldn't really get it to work.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Please note that Maximile made the graphics for AndyStickyGame and Diordna made the music Smile

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
  • StickyThings - This is an interesting one. Not much to it, but it is a fun little toy for a while, so it probably could be turned into a game.
  • AndyStickyGame - Looks awesome and has nice design touches, but it kind of feels like the stickiness was forced in to make it qualify.
  • Adhesion - Definitely the best game here for my money. A bit more graphical polish and loads of levels and this would be done. Some moving obstacles might make life interesting.
  • Quarterstick - ummm...
  • Toxic - Like others here, I didn't really get anywhere with this one.
  • gluball - I agree with Lincoln on the graphics - I really like this new look. I love the idea of this game, but it does kind of get bunged up at times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 5,243 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 21,211 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 15,066 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,829 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Mini Contest Ideas FlamingHairball 34 22,101 Aug 1, 2009 07:51 AM
Last Post: Oddity007