Rolling My Own POD Exporter

Nibbie
Hi, I am rolling my own POD exporter to support features my artist has requested. I'm using PVRTModelPOD.cpp because it already has methods to write out a POD file from a struct SPODScene; now it is simply a task to translate from 3ds Max to SPODScene and entities. I am using 3ds Max 2009 SDK, in particular 3ds Max 2009 3DXI SDK, that he provided me.

Inside of the struct SPODScene there are two fields;
Code:
VERTTYPE pfColourBackground[3]; /*!< Background colour */
VERTTYPE pfColourAmbient[3]; /*!< Ambient colour */

Questions:
[Q1] Why are these defined if not being used anywhere? (I searched OOLONG Game Engine and none of the two are ever used).
[Q2] Are there any documents to aid in mapping from ds Max 2009 3DXI SDK (previously IGame Exporter) to PowerVR POD Format?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
earamsey Wrote:[Q1] Why are these defined if not being used anywhere? (I searched OOLONG Game Engine and none of the two are ever used).
[Q2] Are there any documents to aid in mapping from ds Max 2009 3DXI SDK (previously IGame Exporter) to PowerVR POD Format?

Thanks!

Well, they are what you want them to be :-)

POD files are just somewhat generic containers for storing render-ready geometry, some basic scene graph information , animations and materials.
It really depends on your engine/code if it is going to make use of information contained within these files.
They don't really map to any game specific scene graphs or anything like that so it is really up to you which parts you want to load and use in your game/code.

In case of Oolong engine they simply don't even bother loading or using these fields.

I would presume they were meant to directly map to glClearColor and to scene ambient color but as I said, it doesn't really matter ...
Nibbie
Hi, thanks for reply! Do you know if Aae there any documents to aid in mapping from ds Max 2009 3DXI SDK (previously IGame Exporter) to PowerVR POD Format?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  what's the best way to create rolling terrain with Cocos2D? aerospaceman 3 6,137 May 24, 2011 02:15 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  rolling dice implementation sefiroths 5 6,477 Nov 11, 2010 10:18 AM
Last Post: skyhawk