20mb app store limit

When you submit an app do you zip compress it first? Is the 20mb limit imposed on the uncompressed or compressed app size? Is it only imposed on FREE apps or all apps?

(I know the limit only forces the user to download via WiFi, but I would think this would have a huge effect on sales?)
Quote this message in a reply
I think it applies equally to FREE and paid.

The size is based on the compressed size. Yes, you need to zip it before uploading it to the store.

I don't know what the sales effect is if you break the cell distribution file size limit.
Thanks for the info Grin Ah crud, I am at about 41MB uncompressed so I wasn't even thinking about optimizing the data more, but zipped it is 21.9MB lol, meaning it is probably worth it to squeeze out 2MB more of data. Just think how much bandwidth Apple could save AT&T if it used LZMA compression! 30% of whatever it is using now! If AT&T realized this they would be crying murder!
I think if you're that close it would be worth your while to see if you can squeeze it down to 20mb.

This is purely speculation but I think the 20mb doesn't affect the big boys (Gameloft, ngmoco) etc much but with small, indie games at 99c there could be a lot of casual browsing when users are waiting for the bus etc.
Yeah I already did, I started reducing the quality on my jpgs, then I found I was still loading my large format icons which aren't even used on the mobile version, thus saving 2MB of zipped data, and over 2MB of runtime memory!
Try and aim for 19.5mb if you can do it without compromising the game. When Apple signs the app for release they appear to add a small amount on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  App Size limit of 10 megs kendric 21 7,379 Jul 22, 2009 09:16 AM
Last Post: Madrayken