Getting up to date - Tools, Technologies...

Nibbie
Hi there,

I have released games before, but I'm mostly an assembly guy on the good old Commodore 64 - so I have no overview over the current tools, libraries and APIs available.

First of all, I need to get some basic tools:
- I need a good, flexible level editor that helps me to define tiles AND collision information for the tiles and that saved the data in a reasonable format. If possible it should be an OSX app. I have seen only RepTile, but it seems very basic and I didn't understand how to define or check on the collision part.

- I currently use TextMate for C64 assembler coding and eclipse for Java. I have no tool for GUI building. Should I use Xcode? Is it possible to use Gui Builder from Xcode without actually using Xcode? Generally: what recomendations do you have? I'm into small web-based games. I thought of using Java as Flash is so expensive. I do not use Xcode currently, because I am not alone in this project and other coders are using eclipse and work on a Windoze PC.

- Any other good dev tools out there? Cool anim pixel programs?

I want to start out doing platform independent web games, and my preferred OS is OSX.
Quote this message in a reply
jaktrip Wrote:First of all, I need to get some basic tools:
- I need a good, flexible level editor that helps me to define tiles AND collision information for the tiles and that saved the data in a reasonable format. If possible it should be an OSX app. I have seen only RepTile, but it seems very basic and I didn't understand how to define or check on the collision part.
Interesting you mention it, since we were just discussing this here like last week. There doesn't seem to be any popular tool for that yet on the Mac. RepTile is about the only one I've heard of.

jaktrip Wrote:- I currently use TextMate for C64 assembler coding and eclipse for Java. I have no tool for GUI building. Should I use Xcode? Is it possible to use Gui Builder from Xcode without actually using Xcode?
By Gui Builder, you mean Interface Builder. It isn't *from* Xcode, but comes with it as part of Apple's Developers Tools. No, you can't really use it for making GUIs for anything other than stuff done with Xcode -- at least not that I've ever heard.

jaktrip Wrote:Generally: what recomendations do you have? I'm into small web-based games. I thought of using Java as Flash is so expensive. I do not use Xcode currently, because I am not alone in this project and other coders are using eclipse and work on a Windoze PC. ... I want to start out doing platform independent web games, and my preferred OS is OSX.
According to your description of working with others on Windows, and wanting to be web-based, and not wanting to afford Flash, I would think Java is a perfectly sensible direction to take.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What "technologies" should I use? WhatMeWorry 7 3,612 Jun 3, 2007 03:48 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie