Poly counts for iPhone?

Apprentice
Hello.

So I've decided to go back to 3D, it's what I know. Now I've been modeling in 3D for 15 years now but come from the high poly count side of things (models between 6 and 52 million quads). So now I'm working for the iPhone, what is the average count for say a human model? How low do I need to go?

Going to be using Unity, looking forward to this game. Hope you'll all enjoy it, it'll be one of my 'death splat gore' series! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
emptythetill Wrote:Hello.

So I've decided to go back to 3D, it's what I know. Now I've been modeling in 3D for 15 years now but come from the high poly count side of things (models between 6 and 52 million quads). So now I'm working for the iPhone, what is the average count for say a human model? How low do I need to go?

Going to be using Unity, looking forward to this game. Hope you'll all enjoy it, it'll be one of my 'death splat gore' series! Smile

Stick figures, preferably :-)

Seriously, though .... you can't realistically push more than 15 K vertices per frame ( I am taking about the whole scene) so there you go ... NVidia 8800GTX it aint :-)
emptythetill Wrote:(models between 6 and 52 million quads)

Blink Holy cow!

... yeah, you gotta come waaaaaaay down from that to play on iPhone. We're talking like, you might be able to do skeletally animated characters of maybe a few hundred triangles a piece. That means you won't practically be able to use poly reduction from higher poly models; you'll have to build them up from scratch with low poly in mind.
Apprentice
OK, so properly properly low res. I can do that, I'll build from scratch. A low res human will only take 15 mins at most so that doesn't bother me. I guess I'll have to cheat as much as I can. Sounds like fun Smile
Sage
See this (50+ page) thread on Polycount for lots of examples of good-looking models with less than 500 triangles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maximum Tri or Poly Count iOS game Dwellmuth 1 3,680 Jun 29, 2012 10:43 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie