Am I the Last One Upgrading to 3.0?

This weekend I'm going to move to iPhone OS 3.0.
  • Am I the last one?
  • Anything I should look out for?
  • How could I screw up?
  • Is it easy to flip back and forth between 2 and 3 on the device? In the simulator?
  • How are you handling the new capabilities of 3.0? Or are you still aiming for 2.2 or less? Can I conditionally handle things so that extra functionality is available for 3.0 users?
  • Is there any way I could screw up my provisioning or distribution profiles or access to Connect or my ability to update an app? What should I backup before the move? What should I note or write down?
  • Do these switches make anyone else nervous? Should I just be brave? LOL
Quote this message in a reply
Well, not the last one, because there are many people who aren't devs Wink
Umm, I've heard a few scattered reports that the new beta kills original iPhones, but it worked fine for me and people I've talked to.
You can't flip between them on the device, once you upgrade you can't install 2.x again, but most 2.x apps work on 3.0. Simulator does whatever you want it to Wink. Though, all new apps have to be 3.0 compatible so working with 3.0 makes more sense, there's almost no purpose to using 2.x except to make sure there aren't any serious bugs, but again, 3.0 will be out soon so you won't have to worry about that unless you're releasing very soon.
As for screwing up provisions etc, I don't exactly know, wait on responses from others.
Be brave! Wink
(Sorry I don't have time to write up these responses all nice like).
Alex
Nosredna Wrote:[*]Am I the last one?

No, many like me haven't made the jump

Quote:[*]Anything I should look out for?

There's a slim chance that some apps do not work (correctly) in 3.0, so if you upgrade to 3.0 and all of a sudden an app behaves badly, you're stuck until the developer of that app makes an update.

Quote:[*]How could I screw up?

In many ways, that's one of the unpredictable things that "could" happen. If you follow the instructions provided by Apple by the letter, you should be fine.

Quote:[*]Is it easy to flip back and forth between 2 and 3 on the device? In the simulator?

Not on the device, yes on the simulator. You can have 2 versions of Xcode running, which is what I do. I check my apps in the simulator for 3.0 and 2.x
If you install 3.0 on the device, you're stuck with it, you can't go back.

Quote:[*]How are you handling the new capabilities of 3.0? Or are you still aiming for 2.2 or less? Can I conditionally handle things so that extra functionality is available for 3.0 users?

I believe there are #define's in the SDK that allow you to check if the target you're building is for 2.x or 3.0. As for actually doing this check, I wouldn't worry about that. Just write for 3.0 and let the users make the update, it's free for iPhone users and will be required eventually.

Quote:[*]Is there any way I could screw up my provisioning or distribution profiles or access to Connect or my ability to update an app? What should I backup before the move? What should I note or write down?

Your provisioning remains unchanged and should work as is on a device with 3.0 installed.

Quote:[*]Do these switches make anyone else nervous? Should I just be brave? LOL

Just remind yourself you are installing "BETA" software. If you install 3.0, make sure you have the latest version, which is beta 5 as of this writing.

Good luck

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
When I upgraded to 3.0 my provisioning went all screwy. The files were still on the device and on the Mac, but Xcode complained that my keychain certificates didn't match the profiles and refused to compile. I had to create a new signing request, install the new certificates, and update the provisioning files to get back to normal. Not sure this if this is a common problem or just a fluke.
After reading this...

"This software should only be installed on devices dedicated exclusively for iPhone 3.0 beta application development."

... does it mean I won't be able to use my iPhone as a phone? I know it doesn't explicitly say that and maybe it's a silly question to ask, but I really need to make sure I can keep using it as a phone. It's not a problem if some apps don't work though, except for the Apple ones (mainly being able to play music, browsing and taking pictures).

One more question: does anyone use cocoslive (for online score rankings) and has tested it on 3.0?
You can, but they're just covering their asses, so you can't complain about bugs because it's supposed to be a "development device only" so it shouldn't bother you if there' something wrong in the OS somewhere. It's gotten pretty stable though Annoyed
Alex
Thanks EvolPenguin. In that case I think I'll switch to 3.0. I'm going to release a game in about a month or two and even though I've read on the Apple website that most applications should work I want to make sure it's already compatible.

BTW I read somewhere they're planning to release the final firmware version in June. Is there an official date?
No official date has been given. Wait until WWDC, then we'll know more.
If you wanna be 100% safe, install 3.0 on an iPod touch, or get the cheapest one.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I haven't installed the 3.0 beta yet, since I only have one iPod Touch and no iPhone I've held off. But I might get around to installing the latest beta on the weekend since it is meant to be quite stable.
Frank C. Wrote:When I upgraded to 3.0 my provisioning went all screwy. The files were still on the device and on the Mac, but Xcode complained that my keychain certificates didn't match the profiles and refused to compile. I had to create a new signing request, install the new certificates, and update the provisioning files to get back to normal. Not sure this if this is a common problem or just a fluke.

Yeah, that sounds like a nightmare. Exactly the kind of event that scares me. I find the provisioning and keychain process revolting enough even when it goes right.