Do you play games?

I was wondering if you guys in the middle of development still find time to play games.

I usually do one or the other, rarely I'm interested in playing when I'm writing one.

Recently I bought World of Goo, I'd say it's a good game, very beautiful, not very hard to beat though ( I'm just too good Wink )

On my dock right now i have (even though I might have not played them in years) Zuma by popcap, Warcraft 3, Mutant Storm by PomPom, Constellation, Rubber Ninjas, Laserface, and Diablo 2. Oh I also preordered Overgrowth by Wolfire, but it's still in early Alpha.

I do tend to get tired of a game pretty fast though nowadays, so I mostly play flash games, I'll recommend spewer today http://www.kongregate.com/games/2DArray/spewer from the author of Gish.

So what games (if any) do you play-recommend?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Quote this message in a reply
Space Invaders FTW! Here's a nice page of old skool games that you can play in yer browser. My favorite game right now, and has been for several months, is Fallout 3, on the Xbox 360. I also love old-skool games on XBLA, like Marathon and Doom.

Sometimes if I'm really busy developing then I won't bother gaming much, since I get sick of looking at a display. Gotta go outside and get some vitamin D production going once in a while. Rasp
Warcraft 3, TFT, only online. If you're up for a 2v2, whisper KrayzBlu to play me and my artist Steve.

When in doubt ... read the Read Me
10.5.6 | MacBook Pro 2.5x2 | 4 GB RAM | GeForce 8600M GT
When I was younger all I did was play games (back in the days of C64 and Amiga) but these days I don't find much time for it. If I'm on the computer I usually want to be working on my games instead, even though I haven't been very prolific in that department. Wink

I find myself more attracted to casual games nowadays since anything else takes such an investment to learn the controls etc. But even with casual games I tend to check them out, see that they are fun to play and then get back to my own stuff.

But I actually think this is a big failing on my part. If you want to make games you really should be more aware of what is out there and what is fun.

Maybe once I get a new laptop so my wife and I don't have to share I'll have more time for it. Wink
I do not play much, and I am not actively developing games at the moment, either... just iPhone productivity apps.
However, since the release of the iPhone, I am finding more time to at least try out all these very excellent games in the $1 - $5 range. There are some truly fun experiences out there - a few of my faves:
Fieldrunners
Bebot (a musical toy, but still fun)
Tap Tap Dance
10balls7cups (I forget who made this, but I know they are on the boards here - so great job on this one!)
Touch Physics

And Rubber Ninjas has, honestly, been the game I've played the most on my Mac in awhile... though only once in awhile, and only for a few minutes at a time, mostly out of 'guilt' that I could be doing something more productive.

Is guilt the #1 reason we do not play games? Or other responsibilities?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
It goes back and forth for me. If I'm spending a lot of time coding, I'm probably not spending much or any time playing and vice versa, but I'll flip from one side to the other several times per year or so.
I generally don't play games a whole lot. I can't stand playing games by myself (albeit, a few casual games are fun for a short span of time), and some games are just not worth playing. I like playing DotA on WarCraft 3 when I have friends over. Then again, since the summer started, I've only had friends over once. So . . . I spend most of my time being productive (or pretending to be productive...).

~Achi
I play hardcore games whenever I'm not coding. I code a lot on my iTouch, and play MGST and AI wars in short alternations. When I'm hit by a massive problem in coding, I wait it out playing games until I restore to relaxed.
You code on your iPod Touch?
Alex
Yeah, if you ever get to see it, its littered with tons of code. FUEditor is great for this. I email it to my self, then run it through gcc.
Oddity007 Wrote:Yeah, if you ever get to see it, its littered with tons of code. FUEditor is great for this. I email it to my self, then run it through gcc.

Wow, I thought that was going to be a typo and you meant you game on your iPod Touch. You must have the patience of a saint! Wink
I play games on my ipod, at my house there are 2 Vista PCs, a PS3, a Wii, every form of Nintendo handheld, an iPod Touch, and an ancient PowerMac3,6.

I won't begin to tell you how many PCs we've went through in the time we had that Mac... 0_0
Recently discovered oblivion for the 360- hands down the greatest game ever in my opinion, and I don't say that lightly.
NelsonMandella Wrote:Recently discovered oblivion for the 360- hands down the greatest game ever in my opinion, and I don't say that lightly.

I have to say I agree with you on that. The only reason Fallout 3 is my favorite nowadays is because I have played Oblivion into the ground. I don't know how many hundreds of hours I did on Oblivion. I got all the gamer points, including those for Shivering Isles, and I also did all the add-on content. While Fallout 3 is absolutely fantastic, it didn't suck me in quite as hard as Oblivion did.
Apprentice
Personally I enjoy creating as much as playing so kind of mix the two. Although sometimes I may do more of one than the other depending on how I feel. I also listen to a lot of music. I have always found a lot of inspiration from games and music so in turn it all helps.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 50 Games Every Developer Must Play Carlos Camacho 12 5,012 Dec 4, 2009 12:51 PM
Last Post: Frank C.