iPhone 2D game programming

Nibbie
Hi,

I'm planning on porting my Flash game to the iPhone. It's a straightforward Atari 'Combat' style game with a few twists. I'm trying to decide whether to use the Quartz API to implement the rendering engine or dive into the OpenGL ES APIs instead. Being a Flash based game means my rendering code is mostly sprites and some vector graphics for alpha blending and special effects so I don't believe I necessarily need the hardware acceleration OpenGL ES provides and Quartz seems like a better match to Flash since they are both vector based. However, I would hate to discover that performance is not acceptable using Quartz and then have to switch gears in mid-stream.

Be great to hear if anyone has experience with both Quartz and OpenGL ES and can describe what context the APIs are appropriate for. Are most of the simple games in the App store OpenGL? Or are they a mix? Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Umm, Quartz is unfortunately too slow for most games on the iPhone. OpenGL ES is mainly used for 2d or 3d games. If you're doing 2d though, check out the cocos2d library for the iPhone (google it, there's one for python and one for the Objective-C/Cocoa (the iPhone)), it handles sprites and such.
Alex
Nibbie
Yes, cocos2d is the best way to begin with 2d Game dev. I spent a month to develop a game. Very simple to use cocos2d

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New iphone game programming tutorials for newbies Eskema 2 3,254 Mar 1, 2010 01:07 PM
Last Post: Eskema
  iPhone game programming for noobs Olnex 3 3,570 Aug 27, 2009 03:31 PM
Last Post: Amphro
  Game Programming Questions miigman 11 6,895 May 21, 2009 11:24 AM
Last Post: MikeD
  Eager to learn game programming.. dont know where to start.. gizmo99 0 2,021 Dec 4, 2008 07:12 PM
Last Post: gizmo99
  Welcome to our iPhone and iPod Game Programming Message Board Carlos Camacho 0 9,360 Jun 10, 2008 05:21 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho