Unity or Torque?

Apprentice
Hello.

So, I've created my first iPhone game inside of XCode, graphics in Illustrator. It took a couple of days but is a very simple game, basically a pretty version of Pong with some better physics. Now I want to work on something a bit more ambitious and am looking into either Unity or Torque for the iPhone.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I want to work on 2D games for a fair while before attempting a 3D game. I am a designer by heart so prefer a visible system rather than tons of code, which I'm happy to get involved in if needs be. I've contacted both Unity and Torque but have had nothing back, basically asking them why I should buy two licenses of the software (I work with a friend).

So has anyone used either, and if so for what? If you have used one do you think it would be good for somebody who can code ok (come from AS3 and C-Sharp/WPF) and is tech savvy enough to hand code simple games?

Cheers.

A.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
I've used Torque Game Builder (the 2D engine for the desktop) which is basically the same thing as the iPhone version. Unity still (to my knowledge) doesn't have any strong focus on 2D through add-ons or anything, like TGB does, so if you really just want to do 2D, you'll be up and running quicker with TGB. I figured it out quickly enough to do a multiplayer tetris game in a weekend, so I like it, but it definitely wasn't awesome in every regard.

For 2D on the iPhone, TGB shouldn't be a bad choice, but I've never used Unity (and I haven't used TGB since [too busy to do any game dev at all]), so that's about all I can say. On the other hand, if you want to use the same tool to go to 3d, Unity is probably your better bet.
Apprentice
Hello.

Thanks for the response. I spent the day playing with TGB, it seems very simple and the code is basically AS3 with some minor syntax adjustments from what I can tell. I think I could build a game I have in my head in iTGB in a couple of days, much quicker than with XCode. However, that means I don't have enough deep knowledge and so will stick to XCode until 3.0 is out of beta and supported by iTGB.