beginner question...

Nibbie
Hi Guys,

First of all - as I'm new to this forum and 3d in general (and I'm not native English speaker) - please don't blame me for stupid questions ;-)
Now to the point - I've been playing with iphone sdk for some time (having some programming background from the past, totally different platform though...). I think it's time to move on to opengl and 3d. I've been looking for some info on "general direction" I should take and here's what's in my mind:
I plan to get Blender (that's my lovely wife's field of interest and I won't be actually using it) to create characters/scenes/animations (bones is what I'm aiming for). I plan to implement fbx loader (based on this guy's fbx parser (looking at the video this can be achieved ;-)). Having that (and some sort of collision detection/response) I should be able to create some basic games/animations...
Now the questions (I just hope answer to the first question won't make other questions redundant...):
1. Does it actually make sense at all?
2. If so - does anyone have any experience with fbx files on iphone? Would that be really too much to try skeletal animations? Any good starting points (code samples??)
3. Collision detection/response - any hints here...?

Any help will be appreciated..

Thanks,
Adam
Quote this message in a reply
1) Yes it makes sense and can be done, but it will take a *lot* of work!
2) FBX is a massive pain in the butt to learn because the documentation from Autodesk sucks, and the sample code is buggy and hard to read. It does work though, and if you're patient enough, you'll get it implemented. Start by implementing it on the Mac (or Windows). The reason why is because there isn't an FBX library for iPhone (that I know of) so you'll have to learn how to extract all the relevant skeletal and geometry data out of the FBX file after it's loaded into your program and convert it to your own iPhone format.
3) Don't worry about detailed collision detection just yet. You have a huge pile on your plate just getting going on iPhone, plus FBX. Start with axis-aligned bounding boxes or sphere collision detection at first to make your life easier.
Nibbie
Thanks AnotherJake.

I'll give it a try...
Regarding FBX - I've had a quick look at the FBX parser from marek-knows.com (the mini-video that I mentioned in the first post) and it looks pretty complete. The guy claims his code can parse pretty much anything (including bones etc.). I'm assuming (I may be wrong though) that if I could parse FBX with his code then I probably could use it without much pain...
Regarding collision detection - yep, I know I'll have quite a lot of work before I even get to collision detection. I was just trying to picture my "long-term plan"...
Thanks,
Adam
dyrdymal Wrote:Regarding FBX - I've had a quick look at the FBX parser from marek-knows.com (the mini-video that I mentioned in the first post) and it looks pretty complete. The guy claims his code can parse pretty much anything (including bones etc.). I'm assuming (I may be wrong though) that if I could parse FBX with his code then I probably could use it without much pain...

I don't know anything about that guy's stuff. When you say "parser", do you mean directly from file, or extracted from the FBX library once loaded? Parsing FBX from disk is not recommended since the file format is not documented and is subject to change.
Nibbie
Looking at the video (I haven't purchased the code yet) it looks like he's parsing .fbx file directly. He's selling source code (along with explanatory video) so it should be easy work with it and create my own parser/loader.
Changes to fbx format don't really bother me to be honest - I don't think it'll change. And even if they change it - I'll still can use "older" version by not updating Blender...

Adam

PS
Still - I'm not saying I'm right.. That's just what I think ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iphone beginner question robot 2 2,966 Jun 22, 2009 06:45 AM
Last Post: kendric