Getting Started, is this game possible?

Honestly, I think we should start just posting a link to the "So you want to make a MMORPG?" thread and not posting anything else in threads like these. Surely our time could be better spent answering legitimate questions Annoyed

We could always just post a link to that thread and then lock the topic so that threads like these drop to the bottom of the page.

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Quote this message in a reply
Good Idea, here's the link:
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11911
Please Moderators, lock this thread before a flame war comes about due to Sir SmackAHobo's name!
I'm not going to lock it just yet, and yes, I was thinking of posting a link to that, someone else took care of it though.
Alex
Let's not get into a flame war about SmackAHobo's name, but I have two and a half thoughts I'd like to offer:

First, as you might notice, my location is usa. That's *little* usa because I'm pretty darn disappointed in my country's behavior right now, both internal affairs and external affairs. Particularly on the internal front (trying with all my might not to make any serious political statement) I am incredibly sensitive to the fact that our first, second and fourth amendment rights are under heavy assault in our society right now. So therefore, if the dude wants to be called SmackAHobo, then part of me wants to let it be. What is the degree of offense? In my opinion, it's pretty low in the grander scheme of things, but I'm still not comfortable with it, and this leads to my next thought...

Second, on the external front, my country seems to think it is the world, and everything revolves around the US and its values and morals. So with that in mind, here's a different, more internationally diplomatic approach:

Second.5, SmackAHobo, I don't know how it is in Australia, please pardon my ignorance, but here in the US we've had a few problems with a few crazy punks tragically beating up and sometimes even killing homeless folks. It is utterly horrible that there are some in our society who would do such a thing. I don't know what the slang is in Australia, but "hobo" is a slang term for a homeless person here, so that's why your "handle" is taken to be a bit offensive by some of us. If not offensive, it is at the very least seen as somewhat insensitive. I personally see it as being a bit insensitive, but I also recognize that you don't live here, so maybe you don't know. Now you do.
AnotherJake Wrote:I am incredibly sensitive to the fact that our first, second and fourth amendment rights are under heavy assault in our society right now. So therefore, if the dude wants to be called SmackAHobo, then part of me wants to let it be. What is the degree of offense? In my opinion, it's pretty low in the grander scheme of things, but I'm still not comfortable with it, and this leads to my next thought...

At least our 3rd amendment is holding strong, no way am I living with soldiers again.

Sorry had to break the tension a bit.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
kodex Wrote:At least our 3rd amendment is holding strong, no way am I living with soldiers again.

LOLLOL That is hillarious, especially coming from you kodex, thanks!
Apprentice
AnotherJake Wrote:Second.5, SmackAHobo, I don't know how it is in Australia, please pardon my ignorance, but here in the US we've had a few problems with a few crazy punks tragically beating up and sometimes even killing homeless folks. It is utterly horrible that there are some in our society who would do such a thing. I don't know what the slang is in Australia, but "hobo" is a slang term for a homeless person here, so that's why your "handle" is taken to be a bit offensive by some of us. If not offensive, it is at the very least seen as somewhat insensitive. I personally see it as being a bit insensitive, but I also recognize that you don't live here, so maybe you don't know. Now you do.

My name was never meant to be insenstive. Its a "handle" i've had within the online gaming community for years and now i use it everywhere on the internet.
It is tragic that homeless people are being killed by these "punks" but should u really be worrying about them as much as you are? What about the 25,000 people that dieing around the world everyday from hunger?
Hey SmackAHobo - Welcome to iDevGames.

What you're after is well within your grasp. Probably not something as polished or complex as would be ideal, but a real simple web app with a user system that allows those users to interact in a few pre-defined ways won't take too much time at all.

Ruby on Rails is a framework for building web applications that a lot of people find intuitive and powerful. It can be a bit pricey to deploy - depends on your budget.

PHP is not the most elegant or intuitive, but it's reasonably powerful, easy to get going with, and widely used.

A lot of people work with Python, including a few people on this forum, I believe. I don't know too much about it, so I'll let other people fill you in there.

Definitely don't get discouraged. You could have a simple web app up by the end of the day.
SmackAHobo Wrote:My name was never meant to be insenstive. Its a "handle" i've had within the online gaming community for years and now i use it everywhere on the internet.
You should consider using a different handle.

SmackAHobo Wrote:It is tragic that homeless people are being killed by these "punks" but should u really be worrying about them as much as you are?
Your handle helps reinforce a negative impression that it's okay to smack homeless people, which makes it a bit insensitive to some, and offensive to others. If you want to succeed in any endeavor, it is wise to always be mindful of putting your best face forward. The bottom line is that with your current handle, you're not going to get as much help as you might like, and you will continue encounter friction to it.
Apprentice
Thanks shivers, some very useful advice there.
I've been asking around a fair bit, not just on this forum and i'm getting a lot of advice, but its all different. Some people tell me to use Java, some say PHP, python ect ect.
I spoke to a friend who told me i should use dreamweaver for the UI and then add java/php later.
Basically i don't know what program to use and/or whether i need a few of them mixed in together. I've viewed a lot of text based mmorpg and all their addresses end with index.php or similar, so php seems to be involved in one way or another
Definitely take a look at different solutions - Java, PHP, Python, Ruby are all find technologies that'll do what you want (with some coaxing).

Whatever you use for the functionality of the app (it'll be one of those, or their kind), web pages are displayed via markup (xhtml/html) and style (css). Those 'front end' technologies are used to display the output of your 'back end' (PHP, Python, Ruby, et cetera).

You can use Dreamweaver to create the front end, but trends are leaving Dreamweaver behind. A text editor like Textmate or BBEdit (on Mac, don't know about Windows or Linux) will suffice for writing both your markup (front end) and functionality (back end).

You'll also want an FTP app like Transmit (again, for Mac) to communicate with the web server you're deploying to. However, if you want to develop locally, you won't need an FTP app at the moment.

There are tutorials all over the internet for this stuff. Maybe start with an xhtml & css tutorial (make sure it's 'standards-based') to learn how to create static pages, and then move on to a tutorial for whichever back-end technology you've chosen.
Apprentice
Excellent advice. Thank you very much Shivers.
If anyone else wants to contribute feel free.
SmackAHobo Wrote:Some people tell me to use Java, some say PHP, python ect ect.
I spoke to a friend who told me i should use dreamweaver for the UI and then add java/php later.
Basically i don't know what program to use and/or whether i need a few of them mixed in together. I've viewed a lot of text based mmorpg and all their addresses end with index.php or similar, so php seems to be involved in one way or another

PHP would be a good starting point, I think. Although it's not a great language for complicated things, I think it would suffice nicely for something like this.

As an experienced Java developer, I can't really fathom why someone would suggest Java for this type of game. I assume they're talking about creating a java servlet (not making the game in an applet, or somesuch), and that is a very very heavyweight solution. It works fine for three tiered web apps at large companies, but I think it'd really just get in the way of a small online web game. Hosting it would also be more annoying than just a few php pages.

Unless you have a very strong background in Java and have used a servlet container in another project, I wouldn't recommend it for this sort of work. I am sure Scott would agree Cool

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work