Platform Game Design

Nibbie
Hello folks, I could use a little advice. I am playing around in the iphone SDK with a simple platform game. I have years of action script development so I am trying to make a switch. In flash I would create the background, and place the platforms in that movieclip, then on a loop check collision detection for each platform but I would be able to animate the entire background by referencing the one movie clip and set the x, y on loop as well.

So how is this different if I were to approach the same challenge with cocoa?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
From what you describe, it is no different. You'd do the same things, but using OpenGL for graphics rendering instead of Flash.

You'll need to add some layers of abstraction if you want to work with things in friendlier ways, but the core concepts are the same.

I'm not sure what else to say since it was a pretty broad question.
Nibbie
Thanks, I am looking for the proper direction to search. For me I understand movieclips that can contain movieclips. I can move the entire background referencing one MovieClip and that can contain all the elements of that level of game play. I was wondering what was the equivalent in Obejective C.
⌘-R in Chief
In that context, my first post may have been misleading to you. Objective-C is just a language, not a framework for games. Some of the concepts of how you have done things in Flash and how other frameworks do them are very similar, though. (Which is what I meant originally.) But you'll need to write your own framework to do that kind of thing, or use an existing one like cocos2d.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Easy platform for computer board game Lizard Man 6 5,328 Jan 22, 2010 03:37 PM
Last Post: Blacktiger
  Newbie book on cross-platform game making? and some questions... mac_girl 11 6,100 Feb 19, 2007 01:22 PM
Last Post: mac_girl
  OOP Game Design mdavis1982 5 4,210 Jan 22, 2005 07:33 AM
Last Post: Duane