Getting started with game programming - some newbie questions

Najdorf Wrote:Jake my point was that even if a language has less features than another (hence the "book" is smaller) it does not mean its easier to use, quite the opposite. Assembly has very few commands still its certainly not easy to use. High level languages with more features tend to be easier.

I guess that's true. Heck, I had a Javascript bible that was HUGE, and that's just good ol' Javascript of all things. I guess what I was thinking was the difference between "The C Programming Language", by K&R, and Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language". To me, just the difference in the length of those two books is pretty telling of what's going on, and C++ by most accounts is *not* easier. To be honest with you, I've been learning C++ for like, what, 15 years? ... and I still don't know diddly. With C, I almost have the official spec memorized! Okay, I exaggerate a bit. Sneaky
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
All righty, reading through "Learn C for Cocoa" right now, so far it's a bit similar to what I got used to in PHP.

I'm dreading pointers a little, from what I've heard about them, but otherwise, I think it won't be long until I can start dipping my toes in the Objective-C water.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie here! I'm gonna make my first iPhone game youngn 2 3,079 Sep 14, 2012 11:45 AM
Last Post: youngn
  Newbie Question: Making a multiplayer collectible card game Extra Turn Games 1 5,641 Jan 25, 2012 10:21 PM
Last Post: mikediamond10
  Soliciting ideas for game programming "tips" SethWillits 9 6,855 Apr 13, 2010 10:54 PM
Last Post: reubert
  Game Programming Blogs? intregus 2 4,671 Jul 1, 2009 12:54 PM
Last Post: intregus
  Pangea's Ultimate Game Programming Guide for Mac OS X is now free Zwilnik 15 8,135 Jan 31, 2008 02:45 AM
Last Post: ynda20