uDG Prize Distribution

I had put the cash as my 3rd choice on the list, but Lincoln made a good point that its easy to divvy up. I think it should go to a team and not a solo developer.

I have some of the other 3d packages on my list too as alternates if I don't get C4D. They look great, I just have a preference for C4D as it has a following on creativecow.net, the After Effects forum I frequent. I'd also be good with one of the alternatives though, so if you want it, don't be shy about choosing it.
Quote this message in a reply
I actually put C4D on my list above Carrara, because C4D seems to have more capability, but now that I think about it, Carrara seems more - landscape oriented, which would be more useful to me than modeling/animation/rendering(which Cheetah3D does).

And if C4D is one you could use, then I'd be more than happy to pass it by.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
It's been a long time since I did any serious 3D modeling, so I don't know how big a subset of C4D's features I would end up using. It looks like Lincoln and Matt are both interested, but no one is absolutely dedicated, so I think we should all just put it somewhere in our lists and see what happens.

It looks like there are four people here who want 3D software, and there are probably more who haven't spoken. The available tools are all good, although modo doesn't have animation capabilities. Having tried Cheetah 3D, I can safely say that it has a decent feature set with a good, Mac-like interface. It's not as fully featured as C4D or Carrara, but it makes for a good alternate if you don't get your first choice. And there are 3 copies available!

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Letting things fall where they may sounds good to me. Could you elaborate on the "no animation" capabilities of modo? That was my second choice. It looks like you can create animations. Is it just that it can't do character rigging? I doubt I will be doing much character animation. I really liked that it had the ability to import google sketchup files. I've played around with sketchup some and love it, plus there is a lot of free sketchup content out there thanks to google Earth. I moved Cheetah above Silo on my list given you're good comments about it.
mattness Wrote:Letting things fall where they may sounds good to me. Could you elaborate on the "no animation" capabilities of modo? That was my second choice. It looks like you can create animations. Is it just that it can't do character rigging? I doubt I will be doing much character animation. I really liked that it had the ability to import google sketchup files. I've played around with sketchup some and love it, plus there is a lot of free sketchup content out there thanks to google Earth. I moved Cheetah above Silo on my list given you're good comments about it.

Last I checked, Modo has animation capabilities, just not character animation capabilities.

I highly recommend Cheetah3D; it's an all-in-one package(unlike Silo), and it's very easy to pickup. It also has a very nice and helpful community.

- Lincoln Green
FWIW, I moved from Maya to Cheetah3D (a couple years ago now?), and I've been very happy with it (particularly the price!). It's nowhere near as powerful as Maya, obviously, but it certainly does the job rather nicely for all my game dev needs and then some. The only major frustration I've encountered with it is dealing with the spline editing tool; I hope Martin can come up with a little better way of doing that. There are some other awkward things in the program, but for the price, I don't complain much. BTW, right now it's on sale for $69 and I would *highly* recommend snatching a copy at that price (for those who don't win and are interested in it) before he raises it to what looks like maybe $150 for the next version.
In that case, I'm going to switch my first choice to modo with Cheetah 3D as my backup. Since I want to make 3D-rendered 2D graphics and not character meshes, the lack of rigging doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in render quality and basic modeling features. Again, though, the tools are all good, so I'll probably be happy regardless.

After speaking with Lincoln over AIM and reading Matt's post, it looks like the best way to make our particular lists up is Matt on C4D, Lincoln on Carrara, and me on modo. If those don't pan out, then the prizes will fall however they fall, and that's fine. For people who are just looking for general 3D software, Cheetah 3D is a great package, and will be my second choice.

It looks like we actually got something accomplished on this thread, although I wish that more contestants had responded. Now if Carlos would get off his butt and post the results, we would be all set to go.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Carlos said that the results will be posted at 5:30 PM EST.

Of course, he also said 7:30, so...

- Lincoln Green
Yay for coordination! I was all for a longer voting period, but I have to agree today the suspense is killing me. I'm not getting enough work done. Rasp
mattness Wrote:Yay for coordination! I was all for a longer voting period, but I have to agree today the suspense is killing me. I'm not getting enough work done. Rasp

*ahem*
A longer voting period is a bad idea. If I chewed my fingernails, they would be gone. Wacko

- Lincoln Green
As a dev, a long voting period is nerve wracking. As a game player though, it would be much better. I enjoyed playing people's entries in past years, but I always missed the voting period. Now I know why, its very short and not well advertised when it starts. I would have liked to have voted those years.
mattness Wrote:As a dev, a long voting period is nerve wracking. As a game player though, it would be much better. I enjoyed playing people's entries in past years, but I always missed the voting period. Now I know why, its very short and not well advertised when it starts. I would have liked to have voted those years.

Hm, Touché.

Nonetheless, Mad

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:Carlos said that the results will be posted at 5:30 PM EST.

Of course, he also said 7:30, so...

Where was this said?! I went to bed last night with the link already up for the contest winners announcements on the iDev games page but it was a dud link and I got up thinking all would be revealed, but the dud link is still all that is up...

Well, the dummy link is actually gone now. I got an e-mail yesterday about the 7:30 AM post time but I didn't hear anything about another delay. I understand there might be a very valid reason for this, but I think the information needs to be kept flowing a little more smoothly to the devs!
pinguoren Wrote:Where was this said?! I went to bed last night with the link already up for the contest winners announcements on the iDev games page but it was a dud link and I got up thinking all would be revealed, but the dud link is still all that is up...

Well, the dummy link is actually gone now. I got an e-mail yesterday about the 7:30 AM post time but I didn't hear anything about another delay. I understand there might be a very valid reason for this, but I think the information needs to be kept flowing a little more smoothly to the devs!

Carlos emailed me.

Yes, the dud link was there last night. It was taken down around 9:30(EST) this morning.

It is now 5:30(EDT), so we'll see what happens.

- Lincoln Green
The news finally makes it to inside mac games
"Winners announced", but there is no sign of the winners on the UDG page!
Mad

So I'm going to announce winners.

He, Him and You! Good Job!
That game and the other one, and especially that one with the thing that does
stuff, were really amazing, enjoy your prizes which is this, one of those and some of these.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Art Contest - $150 Contract Prize Kapz 0 2,193 Jun 30, 2012 07:00 AM
Last Post: Kapz
  Prize Distribution Rules Question pinguoren 7 6,744 Mar 18, 2009 10:20 AM
Last Post: DavidGuy
  Suggestion for rule change: prize distribution stevejohnson 18 10,311 Mar 8, 2009 12:35 PM
Last Post: DoG